Reguarding name change of avaant exe file

Important announcements and news regarding the Avant forums are posted here. Be sure to read the Rules before posting anywhere on the forums. Frequently Asked Avant Questions are also available here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

TomServo
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Reguarding name change of avaant exe file

Post by TomServo » Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:30 pm

This is from Anderson on why this came aabout this latest release:

andersonche@ says:
some ActiveX components in Internet, only recognize IE's hosting. if I use avant.exe, they refuse to work. to make Avant Browser work for more sites, I have to rename it to iexplore.exe

And ahttp is a helper app for favicons and making the browser stable.

Also, as for GDI, it seems to be minly related to FavIcons as well.. if they are disabled the GDI is not an issue.. enabled it is. So, Anderson is working on tht as well.
'Minimal collateral damage' and 'entire star system' do /not/ belong in the same sentence.
- Schlock Mercenary

Pamster
Avant Version:

Renaming avant.exe to iexplore.exe causes problems

Post by Pamster » Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:53 pm

With the renaming of the avant program to iexplore.exe instead of avant.exe - the following problems resulted for me (and others).

1. We are no longer able to open links from mail or other programs (excel/Word) and have them open in Avant- they always open in IE.
2. We are unable to configure File Associations so that .jpg and .gif files open in Avant - they will only open in IE.

The problem is that when you try to create a file association for a file to avant, Avant is no longer listed in the programs. If you try to Browse to the Avant Browser folder and choose the iexplore.exe - it still sees it as IE, and uses IE instead of avant. :(

I use XP and could not find a place where I could define the path to the program to use (as in Win98). Maybe editing the registry would work - I didn't try that.

I had to remove the upgrade and reinstall a previous version. As soon as I did that - and corrected my file associations - links and graphics opened in Avant instead of in IE.
to make Avant Browser work for more sites, I have to rename it to iexplore.exe
Pam

André
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:

Post by André » Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:24 pm

Make a copy of "iexplore.exe" (in the avant program folder) and rename it to "avant.exe" and put it in the avant program folder.

Now you will have "avant.exe" and "iexplore.exe" in the avant program folder so that if a program asks for it it will open in Avant.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6

HarryP
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: WIN 7 SP1 home premium
Avant Version: 2011 beta 18
IE Version: IE9

Post by HarryP » Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:13 am

Hi Pamster,

make sure, that Avantbrowser is your standard-browser.

You can check this in EXTRAS/OPTIONS/fileendings.....

HarryP

Moby
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe
Avant Version:

Post by Moby » Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:26 am

I, as usual, appear to have none of these problems :oops: Could it be 901beta2 has addressed these issues?

Pamster, I wonder why you would want picture files to open in your browser as XP has a perfectly acceptable picture viewer/editor built in :? :?
Stealer of Souls

Pamster
Avant Version:

Post by Pamster » Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:58 pm

Thanks everyone, for you suggestions and responses.
Dr Drrae wrote:Make a copy of "iexplore.exe" (in the avant program folder) and rename it to "avant.exe" and put it in the avant program folder.

Now you will have "avant.exe" and "iexplore.exe" in the avant program folder so that if a program asks for it it will open in Avant.
I thought of this but was afraid that it Avant wouldn't work with a different name. That's worth a try.
HarryP wrote:make sure, that Avantbrowser is your standard-browser.

You can check this in EXTRAS/OPTIONS/fileendings.....

Yep, did that (I don't know that it was that menu path - but I did make it my default browser and checked that it checked to be sure it was the default browser.)
moby wrote:I, as usual, appear to have none of these problems Could it be 901beta2 has addressed these issues?
Well, if you use the XP picture viewer/editor to open graphics, instead of your browser, then you wouldn't have that problem. ;-)
moby wrote:Pamster, I wonder why you would want picture files to open in your browser as XP has a perfectly acceptable picture viewer/editor built in
Well, I could try that - not sure it would fit in with the way I work, but that wouldn't fix the problem of links not opening in Avant.
Pam

cgirlz
Avant Version:

Post by cgirlz » Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:53 pm

andersonche@ says:
some ActiveX components in Internet, only recognize IE's hosting. if I use avant.exe, they refuse to work. to make Avant Browser work for more sites, I have to rename it to iexplore.exe
Dr Drrae syas:
Make a copy of "iexplore.exe" (in the avant program folder) and rename it to "avant.exe" and put it in the avant program folder.
This all really seems like the symptoms and not the problem are being addressed. If the program is being properly registered it shouldn't matter a hill of beans what the executable file is named. If program behavior is dependent upon that, then there are just going to be further problems down the road. :shock:

Macgruder
Avant Version:

GDI and Favicons

Post by Macgruder » Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:40 pm

Ok... first, what are favicons ??
second, how to I turn them off?

The GDI issue almost makes the whole program unusable for me.

angeldust
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2010 Bld 127
IE Version: 8

Post by angeldust » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:13 pm

favicons are the "little pictures" that appear in your address bar & tabs for the site you are visiting. Some sites have their own while others do not thus either IE's "e" shows or Avant's "A" does depending on your setting.
To be Truly Loved is to Live, I HAVE Lived. Image

vectornut
Avant Version:

Windows displays ie icon instead of Avant icon

Post by vectornut » Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:46 pm

Dunno if there's even a way to fix this, but Windows is displaying the Internet Explorer icon instead of the Avant icon for Avant (since the name change to iexplore.exe). It might be possible to get it to work correctly if you have the icon in a separate file.

I'd also like to be able to choose between the new A and the old a. I personally like the lower case a better, and it would be cool if both icons were available to choose from.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Re: Windows displays ie icon instead of Avant icon

Post by hornakapopolis » Fri Feb 13, 2004 9:26 pm

vectornut wrote:I'd also like to be able to choose between the new A and the old a. I personally like the lower case a better, and it would be cool if both icons were available to choose from.
If you mean when it is saved in your favorites, you can use FavOrg and assign it a custom icon, or if IE is set as the default you can choose "Properties", "Change Icon" and select the icon there. Either way, you'll need the icon saved on your hard drive.

Anywhere else the icon is determined by the site.

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11
Skin: Crystal

Re: Windows displays ie icon instead of Avant icon

Post by bigC » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:02 pm

vectornut wrote:Dunno if there's even a way to fix this, but Windows is displaying the Internet Explorer icon instead of the Avant icon for Avant (since the name change to iexplore.exe). It might be possible to get it to work correctly if you have the icon in a separate file
This happened to me, You need to rebuild your icon cache & the A will show. This can be done easily with tweakui. See here,
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/tweakui
I'd also like to be able to choose between the new A and the old a. I personally like the lower case a better, and it would be cool if both icons were available to choose from
Heres a collection of icons you can use.