Icons not appearing in Avant (FavIcons & Default Icons)

Important announcements and news regarding the Avant forums are posted here. Be sure to read the Rules before posting anywhere on the forums. Frequently Asked Avant Questions are also available here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Icons not appearing in Avant (FavIcons & Default Icons)

Post by hornakapopolis » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:05 pm

There's been a ton of these topics and between everyone's suggestions, replies, links pointing to other threads, and numerous explanation of what the actual problem is I thought I'd start a thread where we could try to narrow some solutions and symptons down.

So here's the plan... we'll try to list all of the variants of this bug in their own posts. In those posts, we'll describe the issue and post what we've found to work and not work.

Rather than posting your problem in here, go ahead and create your own thread if none of the solutions here worked. If one of these solutions did work for you, go ahead and post which one in this thread and we'll try to figure things out.

The mods will update these posts with info to try to keep it up-to-date.

hornakapopolis
Last edited by hornakapopolis on Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

This is bug #1

Post by hornakapopolis » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:17 pm

Bug #1

Issue:
No icons are showing in Windows, IE, or Avant.

Things we've noticed about this bug: Sometimes, when Avant is uninstalled, the Internet Shortcut file association will no longer attach itself to a program and it might even cause a Print dialog box to appear when they're clicked in Windows

This has worked!:
  • Re-associate the Internet Short (.url) file type to a browser. This can be done in Windows in Folder Options -> File Types or by using the controls in the browser to set it as the default browser.
  • Export your Favorites, move all of your links out of your Favorites folder (or delete them), and then import your Favorites back.
This has not worked :evil:
Last edited by hornakapopolis on Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:18 pm

Bug #2

Issue:
Regular icons are fine, but FavIcons have disappeared

Things we've noticed about this bug: FavIcons are, by default, stored in the Temporary Internet Files directory. Deleting these files will delete your FavIcons. Generally, they should automatically be replaced by the default icon, but this isn't always the case.

This has worked!:
  • Never delete your Temporary Internet Files
  • Manually delete the files leaving the icons in place
  • Use a third party application to download and store FavIcons
Last edited by hornakapopolis on Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:20 pm

Bug #3

Issue:
Some icons and FavIcons are showing while others are not. Everything appears fine in IE.

Things we've noticed about this bug: For some of those that have had this problem, it seems like many of these missing icons come from sites that do not have URLs that begin with www.

This has worked!:
Last edited by hornakapopolis on Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:21 pm

Bug #4

Issue:
No icons (except maybe FavIcons) are showing in Avant while all are fine in IE.

Things we've noticed about this bug: It is not only hard to fix, but it is just as hard to duplicate intentionally. At least two of the mods here have had this problem and it is now corrected, but their solutions have not worked for others.

This has worked!:
  • Select *.url in Avant Browser Options -> Files and Protocols
  • Set Avant as the default browser
  • For some, none of the suggestions above have worked

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:15 pm

This is listed in the first bug area, but is worth mentioning again as it might work for all of them.

First, "Export" you Favorites. (Currently you'll have to use IE as this function isn't working in Avant.) Then, either move all of your Favorites out of the Favorites folder or just open up Favorites and delete everything inside. (I'd move them in case there are any problems.) Then, "Import" your Favorites back using the file you created using "Export".

I use FavOrg and had all of my icons (@ 325) set to use custom icons. When I tried to move them to another computer so that they could be used by someone else, Windows wouldn't restore the icons to their default icon. The method above worked for me, but doesn't really fit any of the cases posted previously because the issue was caused by FavOrg. It seems like it shouls work though, in all cases.

The_Patcher
Avant Version:

Post by The_Patcher » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:20 pm

Hi,

I'm note sure if this is related to the problem described here, but I had a similiar problem with the HTML file icons and I found here the solution:

http://forums.devshed.com/t104024/s.html

Found the real solution at http://www.kingsley-hughes.com
This worked for me immediately.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Internet Explorer HTML File Icons Vanish After Installing Adobe GoLive 6.0
No matter what you try (using TweakUI, reassociating the files with Internet Explorer, changing the icon manually), the icon still seems stuck on the default Windows "no icon" icon. Annoying!

However, there is a fix! The problem has to do with changes that Adobe GoLive 6.0 make to the registry, in particular the persistant handler htmlfile for under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{42042206-2D85-11D3-8CFF-005004838597}

Under "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{42042206-2D85-11D3-8CFF-005004838597}\Old Icon\htmlfile\DefaultIcon" there is a reference to the Adobe GoLive 6.0 executable. Changing that to "(PATH)\iexplore.exe,1" (usually "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe,1" - remember not to include the quotes, just the string itself) fixes the problem immediately.

A tricky problem to fix ... I hope you find this useful too!

Kingsley-Hughes

Keywords: Internet Explorer html htm change icon problem Adobe GoLive
----------------------------------------------------------------------

kavey
Avant Version:

Post by kavey » Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:55 pm

Hi,

After installing GoLive I've had this problem too... I followed those instructions but there wasnt a key with that number, so I just did a search for "defaulticon" and "golive" and replaced the relevant results with the iexplore path. But it still hasn't worked. Anyone have any other suggestions?

kate

kavey
Avant Version:

Post by kavey » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:57 am

ok i got this sorted... had to open IE, set it as the default browser in the options, then open avant again and re-set that as the default browser! crazy but yeah. its all sorted.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:02 pm

Which problem were you having kavey... the one with the HTML files or the URL files?

kavey
Avant Version:

Post by kavey » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:53 pm

oops sorry... my problem was that i had installed GoLive, and then all the html/htm/etc icons on my computer were notepad icons, including all the icons in my favourites list.

so after making IE the default browser, it re-associated the html/htm icons with the IE icon.

otze
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by otze » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:26 am

The_Patcher wrote:Hi,

I'm note sure if this is related to the problem described here, but I had a similiar problem with the HTML file icons and I found here the solution:

http://forums.devshed.com/t104024/s.html

Found the real solution at http://www.kingsley-hughes.com
This worked for me immediately.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Internet Explorer HTML File Icons Vanish After Installing Adobe GoLive 6.0
No matter what you try (using TweakUI, reassociating the files with Internet Explorer, changing the icon manually), the icon still seems stuck on the default Windows "no icon" icon. Annoying!

However, there is a fix! The problem has to do with changes that Adobe GoLive 6.0 make to the registry, in particular the persistant handler htmlfile for under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{42042206-2D85-11D3-8CFF-005004838597}

Under "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{42042206-2D85-11D3-8CFF-005004838597}\Old Icon\htmlfile\DefaultIcon" there is a reference to the Adobe GoLive 6.0 executable. Changing that to "(PATH)\iexplore.exe,1" (usually "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe,1" - remember not to include the quotes, just the string itself) fixes the problem immediately.

A tricky problem to fix ... I hope you find this useful too!

Kingsley-Hughes

Keywords: Internet Explorer html htm change icon problem Adobe GoLive
----------------------------------------------------------------------
thx, this works fine
i had the same problem. not with adobe live but some german communication software (t-online) that did not re-associacte the filetypes correctly after uninstalling