SandBoxIE

You know about some neat piece of software? Post here!

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Circumlocutus
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: N/A
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A

SandBoxIE

Post by Circumlocutus » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:33 am

A short while ago Cassiopeia posted in "Avant Browser Help" wanting information about a Program called GreenBorder Pro, which runs Internet Explorer and other programs in a protected environment. Unfortunately, I could not make it work with Avant Browser or Orca.

However, I have now found a program which does the same thing, and more. It is called Sandboxie and it creates a space of hard drive which is kept separate from the rest of Windows in which you can run programs, install programs without the threat of viruses & malware invading the rest of the system.

And the best of all it knows about Avant Browser.

To run a program in the sandbox, just drag it's icon into the control window, right click on the icon and select "Run Sandboxed", or click on "Sandbox Quick Launch" to run the default browser.

obsolum
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 26
IE Version: IE8

Re: SandBoxIE

Post by obsolum » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:18 pm

Sandboxie traps cached browser items into the sandbox as a by-product of normal operation, so when you throw away the sandbox, all the history records and other side-effects of your browsing disappear as well.
So, if I were to run Avant in Sandboxie and visit this forum, read some topics, close Sandboxie and then run Avant outside of Sandboxie and return to this forum all the topics I just read would still be marked as unread, right? Because I frequent a number of forums and it would be awfully confusing this way, IMO. And for me personally, I don't see any other use for Sandboxie than to run my browser in it. Everything else I do is pretty safe I think.

EDIT: d'oh, the information of read and unread topics is stored on the server, not on your computer Image Stupid me... :P

EDIT 2: nope, just tested this and apparently read topics are still marked as unread outside of Sandboxie :? I assume the info on the server is only saved after you log out, or after a certain period of time? I don't know much about that kind of stuff Image

Tekk
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: IE 8

Re: SandBoxIE AND Forum Topics Marked ''Read''or''Unread''?

Post by Tekk » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:48 am

obsolum mentioned,
EDIT 2: nope, just tested this and apparently read topics are still marked as unread outside of Sandboxie :?
I assume the info on the server is only saved after you log out, or after a certain period of time? I don't know much about that kind of stuff

I don't really know that much about this sort of thing either. I just have a theory to suggest.

Could a forum keep track of read or unread messages by storing that information in a cookie in your temporary folder? Or maybe the forum's server has to read your original cookie from when you created your Forum account, before marking the topics read or unread? Could SandBoxIE keep the server from reading your original cookie(s) on your computer that are associated with your forum username? That's assuming your browser is set to accept cookies either while running in SandBoxIE, or when running your browser outside of this SandBoxIE application either. :-s

ghastly_mib
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Re: SandBoxIE

Post by ghastly_mib » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:50 am

Very cool program 8)
Thanks for sharing,

Mathijs