Program - Treesize

You know about some neat piece of software? Post here!

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

thyde9337
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Program - Treesize

Post by thyde9337 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:46 pm

A few months ago I wanted to find out how much memory was used by varius programs on my computer and I was recommended a freeware program called Treesize. More recently I needed to clean my C: drive which was over 80% full and I used Treesize to investigate the contents of various folders. It was very convenient to use and I was able to clear away a significant number of folders and files which had overstayed their welcome. Yes, I know about Windows XP Accessories/System Tools/Disk Cleanup, but this does not know which programs and data files I no longer need, Treesize helped me find them.

Further information about the program can be found here:

http://www.jam-software.com

T.Hyde

ReleaseRoderick
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: WinXP Pro
Avant Version: AV11.7build46forever
IE Version: IE.8

Re: Program - Treesize

Post by ReleaseRoderick » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:35 pm

Hm.mmm! Interesting....Anybody else heard of this one, please.
Love,Light and Peace
ian

ABman
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: XP+SP3 Home
Avant Version: 2012
IE Version: IE7/8

Post by ABman » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:28 pm

I've been using TreeSize since May 2004. I don't use it very often but it comes in useful now and then. I have the free version v1.78 that doesn't (AFAIK) do the memory bit, just the folder statistics.

Edit: Had a quick look at the website and it doesn't seem to mention the memory bit, just the disk usage.

ReleaseRoderick
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: WinXP Pro
Avant Version: AV11.7build46forever
IE Version: IE.8

Post by ReleaseRoderick » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:57 pm

Thank u thyde9337 and ABman
Love,Light and Peace
ian

thyde9337
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by thyde9337 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:22 pm

To ABman: In the contribution I made to this Forum I was particularly referring to the use of Treesize to determine the amount of hard disk space used by various programs. I open Treesize using the right-click mouse button and the program is an item in the drop-down list when I click on a folder listed by Explorer. Explorer normally gives the size of individual files on the hard disk when a folder is opened but not the size of the folder. Treesize helped me find the folders which were occupying large chunks of the hard disks. Some are obvious, folders containing video files and photographs but I was surprised to find that the program Copernic sets up an Index folder which can require 100s of megabytes to store the data.

T.Hyde

ABman
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: XP+SP3 Home
Avant Version: 2012
IE Version: IE7/8

Post by ABman » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:13 am

I just got confused with terminology. When you said "find out how much memory was used by varius programs" I assumed you meant ram.
I've updated TreeSize to the latest free version and it has a few nice enhancements.