Avant Browser 2010 Build 7 not working on my computer...

Request help with using Avant Browser here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

m&m
Windows Version: Windows Vista
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 46
IE Version: IE8

Avant Browser 2010 Build 7 not working on my computer...

Post by m&m » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:12 pm

I tried out Avant Browser 2010 Build 7 (the latest version), but I can't go to any websites at all, I always end up at the "oops Internet explorer cannot display webpage" error message. The official IE8 works perfectly fine.

I went back to version 11 build 46, and it works perfectly fine as well. Why? I would like to update with the latest version but it's not allowing me to go to any websites at all :thumbdown:

m&m

Re: Avant Browser 2010 Build 7 not working on my computer...

Post by m&m » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:17 pm

Sorry, I just saw this post: http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic ... 21&t=27860 and my firewall isn't blocking avant.

m&m

Post by m&m » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:30 pm

I found out that Online Armor (the firewall I had been using) was causing the problem. There must be some conflict somewhere. Firewall said avant wasn't blocked, but it worked (the latest version) only when I disabled the firewall.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:42 am

If it said the avant.exe executable wasn't blocked, it might be worth checking for avantab.exe, too. Maybe it's blocking that.

m&m

Post by m&m » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:02 am

hornakapopolis wrote:If it said the avant.exe executable wasn't blocked, it might be worth checking for avantab.exe, too. Maybe it's blocking that.
No, it's not blocking that either. I had the firewall scan my pc and automatically trust and allow everything it detected and I already saw avant.exe eand avantab.exe to be both trusted and allowed.

Although, I can get Avant (although it loads webpages slowly) to work when I have put an exception in the firewall rules to ignore all the files within the default avant installation directory.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:47 am

I'm sure there might be others who will jump in here with other suggestions, but have you contacted support for the firewall, too?

m&m

Post by m&m » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:56 am

hornakapopolis wrote:I'm sure there might be others who will jump in here with other suggestions, but have you contacted support for the firewall, too?
no, I haven't yet but probably will later. Oh and when IE 9 comes out, Avant Browser will just simply use the updated Trident engine?

I might look at the Orca Browser, heard it was the same as Avant but it's the firefox variant.

filibert
Windows Version: 7 64-bit
Avant Version: 2010 b2
IE Version: 8.0.7600.16385

Post by filibert » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:23 pm

I have the same problem.

I must add, that apart the "ooops can't find... " I noted in address bar that the url have the search string at the beginning of the url.
For example I type google.com and when I hit enter the adress automatically changes to something like search avant google.com, the same happens if tryin to go to any bookmarked site, the url just receives that search string.

The problem started with version 2010 Build 3, and it's still there in 2010 Build 7.

But the version 2010 Build 2 works normally.

The firewall setings are set to allow all traffic, disabling the firewall don't help so I'm sure that you were on wrong path when addressing the issue to the firewall.

Both times I tried to upgrade and encountered the problem I just re-installed the previous version 2010 Build 2 and Avant browser works again.

This happened on my main PC and also on my laptop, the exact same problem. I think you maybe should compare the new code which was inserted after the build 2 and find out what can be causing this.

Main PC: Win 7 64-bit eng, ie8, PC Tools internet security 2010
Laptop: Win Vista SP2 eng, ie8, Norton internet security 2010

p.s. Hopefully I still have the old install file for 2010 build 2 but what for those who don't have it anymore? They must revert to much older version than it's needed because there is only a link to version 11.7. Also they must first think on revert, some just uninstall the non working software.

I also think that there must be much more users with this same problem who don't use forums to report issues, I'm proposing to add the link to the version 2010 build 2 and write something like "if you experience problems just reinstall the older version 2010 build 2".

Kindest Regards

filibert

Post by filibert » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:39 pm

I can't edit the previous post anymore, seems like it's locked to 3 edits so I post a new reply.

I wish to add that when I installed the build 7 I first tried to reinstall the build 3 just to check if reinstall solves the issue, but the problem was still there, build 3 still don't work, only after reinstalling the build 2 the browser worked again.
So it's confirmed that builds after build 2 won't work on my computers.

m&m: try if the build 2 works for you too. I uploaded my setup file to hotfile.com: http://hotfile.com/dl/52503548/d120c46/ ... 2.exe.html

Kindest Regards

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:58 pm

Old versions can be found at the Avant Browser Archive. The v2010 builds are identified as v11.8 which may be a bit confusing.

The editing of posts it limited by the admins here - I think that it is set to about 10 minutes after posting.

Can you confirm exactly what you do step-by-step please. I am not too clear if you are entering text into the address bar or the search bar and what exactly is being entered.

What are your settings in: Tools >> Avant Browser Options... >> Search Engine >> Standard Search >> Web

.:Volunteer support staff (regular user):.
I am not a member of the Avant / Orca development team
Please search this forum / the Wiki before posting questions
Forum Rules | Frequently Asked Questions | Active Topics

filibert

Post by filibert » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:25 pm

I already wrote it's address bar. I always type urls in address bar btw.
Also bookmarks don't work. Nothing works in builds after build 2, the browser won't open pages at all.

The setting you asked is: http://www.bing.com/search?q=%s&form=AVB01D&pc=AVBR

But I don't use search bar because I would like to have it set to Google but can't find that option(why??), so for search I always click on google bookmark in my bookmark bar and there I search directly on google homepage. I find other search engines not as good as Google.

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:55 pm

I really think that your firewall has detected that avant.exe and avantab.exe have changed and is blocking them from accessing the Internet. That's what most firewalls do. It's to prevent a malicious virus from changing your files - but how can it know that you updated them?

Please close Avant fully (make sure that it is not just minimised to the tray) then remove both avant.exe and avantab.exe from your firewall's list. Then when you start Avant again the firewall should then ask you again if you want to allow access again. Say yes then it should work.

filibert

Post by filibert » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:05 pm

ok, you don't want to listen... I already wrote everything.
Must I add that I'm an IT technician for over 15 years??
That's all from me, I don't have time to repeat myself each time, I just wanted to help YOU. Got it?
If you will (or want to) find the troublemaking code you inserted from build 2 on, that's fine, if not than it's fine too, bye.

Kindest Regards.

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:21 pm

I am listening and I am trying to help. I can duplicate your problem by setting my firewall to block Avant. It is a very common complaint and the cause is always a firewall issue. It is worse now that two applications have to be unblocked rather than just the one. Won't you at least consider that please and try your firewall again?

EDIT: Correction, it's not always a firewall issue - sometimes users set Avant to connect via a non-existent proxy server. But from your posts I deduced that you have not done that.