AB or ORCA ?

Request help with using Avant Browser here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Merel
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Windows XP Pro
Avant Version: N/A
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE8
Skin: N/A

AB or ORCA ?

Post by Merel » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:50 am

At this point, it is obvious that the "2010 vintages" of AB are not tasting as good as expected.
Some users (like me) downgraded AB and use it to full satisfaction.

Others are thinking of switching to other browsers.
In this respect, using Firefox/Orca is an option. My past experiences with Firefox were not convincing. However FF has made new releases and the number of users is impressive.

Since I have no recent experience with FF/ORCA, I'm asking here to people working at regular basis with both browsers, what they like the most.

Some people can make an evaluation based on practical use (NOW)
and give their valuable opinion in what they like better for daily use ?

Thanks

bksening
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP SP3
Avant Version: 2010 build1
IE Version: 8.0

Re: AB or ORCA ?

Post by bksening » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:29 am

If I take you last question "Some people can make an evaluation based on practical use (NOW) and give their valuable opinion in what they like better for daily use ?" expansively to mean all browsers, I would seriously suggest trying Google Chrome and Opera browsers; they have fantastic browser and UI performance and top of the line Javascript performance. After that is Safari which also has excellent UI and Javascript performance. As of right NOW, Firefox/Orca follows next in Javascript performance and lastly is IE/Avant/and-other-IE-based-browsers.

If strictly according to the thread "AB or ORCA", I have always said Orca browser since it became stable and because it uses Gecko rendering engine is enough reason for anyone to switch away from Avant. The UI's between Orca and Avant are nearly identical so virtually all the UI functionality from Avant will also be in Orca, and you gain a much better rendering engine with Orca.

I suggest you at least give Orca a serious try.

Merel
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Windows XP Pro
Avant Version: N/A
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE8
Skin: N/A

Thank you for this help

Post by Merel » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:24 am

Excellent and clear explanation. Thank you :thumbup: