Problem opening PDF files with AB Ultimate

Request help with using Avant Browser here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

ED-209
Windows Version: Windows 7 SP-1 (+ all updates)
Avant Version: Ultimate 2017 (most recent build)
Default engine: Firefox (usually)
IE Version: IE-11
Skin: Crystal

Problem opening PDF files with AB Ultimate

Post by ED-209 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:26 pm

I don't know if this belongs in Bug Reports or if it's something I'm missing in AB but here goes.

I've always been able to open PDF files on any website with no difficulty. Recently, somewhere between Ultimate 2015 Build 10 and Build 27, I lost the ability to open PDF files and it doesn't seem to matter what website I'm on.

Here's where it gets interesting; I use AB on 3 machines (1 laptop & 1 desktop at work, 1 laptop at home). The home laptop is fully updated from Windows Updates while the two office machines are updated through a WSUS server managed by our office so I don't know for sure that those two have all the latest updates from Microsoft. All three machines are currently using AB Ultimate 2015 Build 27.

When I started having the problem, it affected all 3 machines; I believe this was when I was running Build 11 or 12. Now that I'm running build 27, the two laptops (home and work) can once again open PDF files but the desktop at work still won't open them. The desktop uses Adobe Acrobat Pro XI which is fully updated as of yesterday; Adobe Reader is NOT installed on this machine but it is installed on the 2 laptops. If I click on a PDF link, the URL will change to the address for the PDF but nothing happens, no pop-up error message, no Adobe window to even try to open the document, no new AB tab to open the PDF, just nothing happens. I normally use Firefox as the default engine in AB Ultimate but I have tried all four with no luck. If I use IE on the desktop, I can open PDF's, it's just failing in AB.

I've run out of things to check to get this resolved. I don't know if I'm missing a setting somewhere in AB that is preventing PDF's from opening but I use the same profile on all 3 machines so I don't think it can be that since the 2 laptops will open PDF's.

Anyone have any suggestions? If this turns out to be a bug, feel free to move this thread to the Bug Reports section.

Thanks,
Ed

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Re: Problem opening PDF files with AB Ultimate

Post by xiaobing » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:27 am

Tools>mozilla firefox>options>applications, what's the setting for PDF content type?

ED-209
Windows Version: Windows 7 SP-1 (+ all updates)
Avant Version: Ultimate 2017 (most recent build)
Default engine: Firefox (usually)
IE Version: IE-11
Skin: Crystal

Post by ED-209 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:14 pm

When I checked, it was set to "Save File"; I verified by checking my Download folder and it was full of all the files I was trying to view. I have changed it to "Preview in Firefox" and will test once I can close AB and re-open.

2:20pm follow-up: Much better; PDF's are now previewing in AB as they used to! Thank you very much xiaobing, I hope I can remember this the next time AB changes that setting for me. Any ideas as to what caused it to change?

rods
Windows Version: Win 7 Pro
Avant Version: build 177
IE Version: ie9

Post by rods » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:49 pm

I have a similar problem that has occured since a recent power failure and I am hoping that someone can help please.

I'm using Ultimate 2016 build 2.

I use IE11 as the default rendering engine and suddenly I am no longer able to view an embedded pdf file. I've checked Tools but can't find which section to enable the Adobe pdf plug-in. Can anyone help please? Incidentally, if I set the rendering engine to Firefox or Chrome then it is okay but I want to use IE.

Nederpietos
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: 10 pro
Avant Version: 2018 build 7 ult
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: IE11
Skin: stickers on blue

Post by Nederpietos » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:59 pm

Look at Tools --> Internet Explorer --> Internet options --> programs --> plug-ins. Here must be some adobe plug-in to activate i think.

If it's activated already you could look at Tools --> Avant browser options --> Add-ons --> IE plug-ins and enable it here if needed.

rods

Post by rods » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:38 pm

Sadly, it's not listed in either of these two. I did expect to find it here but no....no sign of Adobe Acrobat or pdf.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:33 am

Can your IE browser open the pdf file? You can try to install the plugin again. Personally, I prefer to use foxit reader.

rods

Post by rods » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:52 pm

Interesting. Opening the pdf file works with Chrome, Firefox and Safari. It does not work with Avant (with rendering engine set to IE11), IE11 or Opera.

Anyway, I have re-installed Foxit (I had used it previously) and set it as the default pdf reader and can now view the pdf file in Avant. When I fired up IE11 I did get a prompt to allow the add-on.

So it's working but I'm still puzzled as to why it stopped working after the power failure and why, when I look in tools and Add-ons, the listing is no different from that prior to installing Foxit.

Ah well!!!