Why do I like Avant ?

Discuss Avant Browser. Do not post support requests, bug reports, suggestions for new or improved features, etc. here. Put those in the Help, Bug Reports, and Requests forums, respectively.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

creep
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: 7/64 - AMD A8 4.2GHz 8GB RAM
Avant Version: 2017 Build 07 Ultimate
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11
Skin: Dream

Why do I like Avant ?

Post by creep » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:08 am

Why do I like Avant ? (I am currently using 2013 buid 23)
- Toolbars can be placed side-by-side so occupy little space unlike some browsers
- Favourites can be kept on-screen at left – readily turned on & off by on-screen button
- Search field on all screens and simple button to control
- Search Site button readily available
- Find button readily available
- Highlight button readily available – and highlights different words in different colours
- Up arrow
- New tab opens automatically for each search etc
- Various options to selectively close tabs
- Right-left clicks to go back a page
- Roboform works with it (not as well as it used to though) (I use IE behind Avant)
- Delete selectable data on exit
- URL alias
- User-defined search engines

There a bits I don’t need, such as form-filling as I use Roboform.
I don’t block pop-ups or adverts because I use Ad Fender.

There are probably other bits and pieces which I would miss if they were not there, but essentially the above is what I like.

I can’t find them in other browsers.

I quite like Opera – but it doesn’t do the all the above and adding toolbars seems to take more and more of the screen rather than putting them side-by-side.

Firefox looks neat, but doesn’t do all the above even with all the add-ons available. I tried adding the Uppity up arrow – it works, but too small for my liking (can’t quite remember, but when I tried Avant 107 were all the buttons smaller ?? Bad move. I’ve got a big screen and I like reasonable size buttons).

There again, that is why some people use Firefox with Avant on top – so that it has all the extras which make a browser so productive.

So why would Avant be aiming to make itself as inadequate as Chrome, IE, Firefox etc ? Surely the point about Avant is to add functionality to those other browsers ??

I am sure some people will tell me that in browser X functionality Y really is available if you only do this, this and this … I don’t want all the faff – I want stuff available, onscreen, immediately, one click, simple, fast, efficient, productive. That’s what Avant has been for years .. until the 2013 versions.

Where is Avant going ? So all the good functionality will be added back in due course ? Really ? So does that mean we are going to end up with something like the good Avant browser of old, but with smaller buttons and the favourite side-panel on the wrong side ?

Or, how about just going back to the version which so many customers liked before you started to drive them away ???

Climhazard
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 Lite x64
Avant Version: 2012 Build 197
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: N/A
Skin: Aero Glass

Re: Why do I like Avant ?

Post by Climhazard » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:17 pm

I quite like Opera
So why would Avant be aiming to make itself as inadequate as Chrome, IE, Firefox etc ? Surely the point about Avant is to add functionality to those other browsers ??
Opera recently switched to Blink (Webkit / Chrome) engine and made version 15.0 using it. If you haven't tried it, lets say it doesn't have any function that it had before... not even bookmarks... so Opera "upgraded" from Presto, which had all those extra features and functions that made it unique, to Webkit and now it has less customization/functionality than even Chrome itself.

The direction browsers are going is obviously simplicity and idiocy, making the desktop browser be as customizable as typical android browser on 3" phone screen. And since the chrome is most used browser on market, it confirms that we as advanced users are in minority. So what Anderson is doing is simply retargeting his market goals and trying to join the chrome boat with the rest of the browsers. Now that would be a good move if the majority of Avant Browser users were 12 year old kids looking for only a few buttons to click on and don't think about anything else. Since this browser is chosen by veteran PC users, who know what they are doing and want most of every application they use, Andersons boat is going to sink if he keeps doing what he started with this AB suicidal attempts with each 2013 build.

creep
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by creep » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:21 pm

Oh well, another one bites the dust !

I did try out a bunch of browser some months ago. I might have thought they would improve over time, but the reverse seems to be the case.

Dropping further down my list, the next one was Maxthon 3. I noted that it didn't work with Roboform (neither did Opera) but that it was looking promising. Perhaps I am too optimistic - since then it's probably been improved worse ...

In my post http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic ... 71#p192830
I referred to software companies going down the pan providing only software for toy computers and screens far too small to do any work on.

Of course, people with toy computers might think simple (little functionality) is a good idea, but whether it will pay the bills in coming years, I don't know.

Personally, I have no use for a tablet and have a "basic" mobile phone for making / receiving phone calls. If I had a use for something else, then I'd buy something else. I suspect that most people with a toy computer haven't got a real computer. I've got two laptops and a desktop running in front of me right now and I never feel I need anything else. I couldn't face the thought of minature screen and no keyboard. If all the browser makers are making stuff for toys then there's a big gap in the market for people with work to do that's been vacated by Avant.

So who will fill that gap ??

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Post by mbrazil » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:06 pm

By following the lead of big corporations like Apple, Google, and other companies who stand to make a lot of money by trying to convince people that a hand-held device can take the place of a desktop or laptop computer, Anderson has made several egregious mistakes.

First, regardless of where computing is headed, the vast majority of the hours people spend browsing currently take place on desktop and laptop computers, and this is unlikely to change significantly for years to come, if ever. Most people will not want or be able to switch from a desktop or laptop to a tablet or smart phone, because of many things, including expense, restrictions imposed by small screens, limitations based on visual acuity, and most importantly, the extremely reduced levels of utility, functionality, and convenience of browsers with "simplified" user interfaces. The bottom line on this is that, while there may now be a subset of browser users that prefer and/or need a "simplified" browser, these people make up a relatively small minority of browser users (in terms of hours of browser usage), and this is not likely to change much in the next few years. Developing a second browser to satisfy this "emerging market" might be a good plan, but discarding most of the things that make your only current product successful to convert it to a different product altogether (a simplified browser) is a recipe for disaster.

Then, Anderson has mistaken a predicted trend in browser usage for a mandate to morph his product into a clone of all the competing browsers. Instead, he should have realized that the current trend has created a unique opportunity for him to leverage all his previous work and success with Avant and grow his user base by fine-tuning and optimizing Avant to improve performance without removing or burying features, functions, and popular UI components. As all the other browsers continue to become less intuitive, versatile, and powerful, Avant would stand out as the one browser that can still satisfy everyone's needs. This is a major opportunity to grow Avant's market presence and visibility, but Anderson has instead chosen to throw this opportunity away by gutting Avant, ignoring the needs and opinions of his user base, taking the mistaken "conventional wisdom" to heart, and conforming to the common path that all the other browser developers have taken. This is an error of colossal proportions.

brawnymike
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: 7 (32 bit)
Avant Version: Ult 2013 bld 23
IE Version: 10

Post by brawnymike » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:06 pm

mbrazil wrote:This is an error of colossal proportions.
To quote "Pretty Woman" (a film which ranks right up with "Citizen Kane"!):
Big mistake. Big. Huge.

creep
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by creep » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:58 pm

I've been using Slimbrowser today.

It's the closest to Avant that I've tried. It does most of the things I like.

Not quite as attractive as Avant whichever skin is used, but overall pretty good and still being developed, it seems ...

And for portable devices, there is a separate Portable version ..... sensible

Climhazard
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Windows Version: Windows 7 Lite x64
Avant Version: 2012 Build 197
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: N/A

Post by Climhazard » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:30 am

creep wrote:I've been using Slimbrowser today.

It's the closest to Avant that I've tried. It does most of the things I like.

Not quite as attractive as Avant whichever skin is used, but overall pretty good and still being developed, it seems ...

And for portable devices, there is a separate Portable version ..... sensible
Slimbrowser is really good and would be a better choice than current Avant for Trident (IE) engine users. Has countless options and keeps getting better and better. I'm using it as a backup browser since i never could've managed to use IE as main engine.

With Opera and Avant ruined i'm forced to use either Waterfox or some chrome variant like Comodo Dragon.

I would appreciate if someone could recommend some good non-IE alternative browser.

creep
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic

Post by creep » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:45 am

Of course, Slimboat is coming along too ... but a bit unstable at the moment ...