Two sets of favorites without two accounts

Help issues and Bug Reports for the current version that have been corrected can be found here. Only staff members may move threads to this forum.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

hotrippr
Avant Version:

Re: Making bookmarks "local" or "public"

Post by hotrippr » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:49 am

I have 2 computers one is a Desktop PC and one is a laptop. Is there a way to import my bookmarks from Avant on my PC to my laptop? I noticed "import" gave only options for RSS, FF, Opera, and IE. With that in mind...

Both computers use a different set of bookmarks, one is mine and the other has my wife's. Is there a way to switch bookmarks LOCALLY without using an online account, or without using different windows users?
I have searched for this going on an hour now, so I am sorry if I am posting in the wrong place.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Re: Making bookmarks "local" or "public"

Post by hornakapopolis » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:17 pm

hotrippr wrote:I have 2 computers one is a Desktop PC and one is a laptop. Is there a way to import my bookmarks from Avant on my PC to my laptop? I noticed "import" gave only options for RSS, FF, Opera, and IE. With that in mind...
After using the File -> Export Bookmarks options in Avant, use the Firefox option in Avant's import.
hotrippr wrote:Both computers use a different set of bookmarks, one is mine and the other has my wife's. Is there a way to switch bookmarks LOCALLY without using an online account, or without using different windows users?
I have searched for this going on an hour now, so I am sorry if I am posting in the wrong place.
If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to use two different sets of bookmarks without using different Windows or Avant accounts, right? If that's the case, then I'd say, outside of some third party software which I don't know that exists, no.

Of course, you could use the bookmarks toolbar to do it, in a manner of speaking. In your main Bookmarks menu, you could have two folders... you and your wife. When you're using the browser, you could right-click your folder and set it as the root of the Bookmarks Bar and she could do the same when she's using it.

If the concern is one of you having to remember a password or getting used to having to "log on," you might still think about two Avant accounts. One one of you isn't used to multiple accounts, that person could use the local profile. That way, when Avant's log on screen appears, they don't have to enter an e-mail or password, they just click the local option. The other person could then use and "online" account, but choose to not save their info online, if that's a concern. If the "online account" person could remember to log onto the local profile when closing Avant, you could even set it up to log into the local profile automatically.

Also since this issue doesn't directly match the original post, I'm splitting it into its own.

hotrippr
Avant Version:

Post by hotrippr » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:05 am

Thanks alot, I decided to make a seperate folders in bookmarks and then set as Root bookmarks, and it is exactly what I wanted. Also I was trying to just copy the bookmarks from the Application Data folder in windows, I didnt know I had to export first, so thanks for clearing that up.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:42 am

Glad you got it working in a way that you like.

Moved to the Resolved forum. - hornakapopolis