no home page @ AB satrt/ no url from other application

Help issues and Bug Reports for the current version that have been corrected can be found here. Only staff members may move threads to this forum.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

zvidoc
Avant Version:

no home page @ AB satrt/ no url from other application

Post by zvidoc » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:27 am

hello
I'm a long time AB user and install it to all my Friends.
however, last time i have few problems on my own PC: !. when i start AB the home page don't open and no other page too' I'd tried to fix it in all sense but nothing. no new version or oldest, no uninstall and install with or without deleting temporary files.
2. the same things happened when I'm using another programme who send me to See an URL, AB is set to be my fist browser , it open himself but don't bring the request URL.
help pleas
thank you
popal30@gmail.com :oops:

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Post by hornakapopolis » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:23 am

What version are you using and what are all of your settings at Tools -> Avant Browser Options -> Home Page?

zvidoc
Avant Version:

Re: no home page @ AB satrt/ no url from other application

Post by zvidoc » Wed May 09, 2007 2:29 pm

Hello
thank you for answer my quest. in midtime, as i had to change a part of my hardware, win Xp had to be renew and all my AB problems are fix . so for the moment no topic.
thanks

MHETWP
Windows Version: Vista SP1
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 26
IE Version: 8.0

Post by MHETWP » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:36 am

I am having the same problem as well. I am running Win XP and just recently upgraded to Ver. 11.5 Build 8. When I login, it loads the "Avant Find" page despite the fact that in the Avant Browser settings I have my Home Page set to something else completely different. The samething happens if I click on "FIle>New Avant Browser", it will again load the "Avant Find page.

Please advise me as to how to correct this problem, or if this is not correctable at this time I certainly hope that it will be soon as this is a nuisance!

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:37 am

Do you have Avant set to automatically log in to your online storage account?

MHETWP

Post by MHETWP » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:01 am

Yes. However, I fixed the problem when I launched "Find>"New Avant Browser". It was in this second browser window that I reset my default home page, which was set to "www.avant find.com" from the installation of the latest upgrade, to the home page of my choice. I closed out of all the sessions of AB that I has opened, then logged in again and now when I login "my home page" is displayed. This is a good work around, obviously, but I trust that in the future you could make an easier way of doing this.

Thanks.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:25 am

I'm not sure what caused it, but it must have been a quirk. I still can't reproduce it.

At least you have it fixed, though.

Moved to the Resolved forum. - hornakapopolis

MHETWP

Post by MHETWP » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:22 pm

I'm not sure why you can't reproduce it. But what I have found is that the URL that is posted in the default AB browser that is displayed when you DO NOT login is the one that is displayed. The URL that is posted in the browser of the one that you do login is never displayed if the other one is left blank. At least that is what happens when I have tested it. If both browsers match with the same URL then there is no problem of course, my home page is loaded, but it is loaded from the non-logged in browser as it is loaded even before I login.

Maybe you could try this type of testing yourself, or if you have, then we are at a crossroads as to why this is only happening to me. If so, any solutions you might have?

MHETWP

Re: no home page @ AB start/ no url from other application

Post by MHETWP » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:48 pm

Just for the record, for anyone that is reading this, this should NOT be in the Resolved Issues folder as this has NOT as yet been resolved by the programmers! This is still a problem and because I created a workaround they decided to place this in the Resolved Issues folder.

A workaround is by now means a fix for the problem and should be looked at more carefully by the programmers. But instead this was somehow swept under the carpet and not responded to at all as it should have been.

More questions should have been asked, more extensive testing should have been done, however none of this was done. Beware, and if this is happening to you, speak up and respond alike because this is how to get things corrected in the program!!!

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
Skin: Crystal

Post by bigC » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:37 pm

OK, well firstly the mods & admins you encounter on this forum are all users like you. We volunteer to help run the forum and provide support. We have no involvement with the development of Avant. If you felt your thread was marked resolved in error all you had to do was tell us... theres no need to drag out the soapbox.

In this particular case, rather then moving the thread again, it may be more beneficial if you could start a new topic in bug reports for this issue. Please include your system info and exact steps to duplicate the problem. Thanks

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:14 am

Moreover, it's late and I'm tired, but it sounds to me that what you describe in your post below my last is not what you're describing in the post above.

I moved this to Resolved because it sounded like you said everything was working normally now. Like I said, it seemed like I glitch in your install to me.

Are you now saying you can reproduce this every time? Your second post I mentioned sounds like you're not logging in automatically, but in your previous, you replied to me that you are.

If you're not logging in automatically, it makes sense to me that it's going to load the local profile's home page, because you haven't logged in and it can't access your. Again, though... I'm exhausted and could be missing the point here.

MHETWP

Post by MHETWP » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:08 am

I apologize for my behavior in my last post, but I was extremely frustrated that this thread was moved to Resolved, when as I have explained, it is certainly not. I do not use the forum all that much, so I am not used to forum etiquette as to what to do about what, when or where to post sometimes. Again, I apologize.

Ok, let me try to explain myself abit more clearly. I am using Win XP SP2, and just recently upgraded to AB 11.5 Build 8. The upgrade went thru just fine and it's working OK except for this home page issue and another issue which I posted that has gone into Known System Bugs.

Anyways, this is what happened when I first tried to login after installing the upgrade. I noticed that the upgrade changed my homepage (not too pleased about this). So after logging into AB, I went into Tools>Avant Browser Options>Home Page and changed the home page from www.avantfind.com, which is what the upgrade changed it to, to what I wanted it to. Then I clicked OK, then clicked File>Exit, and then logged back in again but the same home page - "Avant Find" - was loaded, and not my home page.

So I went back into AB options (while being logged in) to check and see if it changed somehow, but it hadn't, it was still listed as my home page that I had put in there. Then what I did was exit out of AB again, and clicked on my AB icon, but this time instead of logging in, I hit Cancel. Then I went into Tools>Avant Browser Options>Home Page and noticed it was listed as "www.avantfind.com". So I changed it to my home page, clicked OK, exited out of AB. I went back into AB, and now it loads my home page, however it loads before I even login to AB, which I thought was odd. So I went on further to test this by deleting it from the non-logged in session of AB, exiting out of that session of AB, then logging back into AB, and then nothing - no page loads, nothing at all. Even though I go into the logged in session of AB and go into Tools>Avant Browser Options>Home Page and my home page is listed there. As long as I place my home page in the non-logged in session of AB, that is the only way AB will load my home page. The logged in session, however will NOT load any page you put in there, no matter what, it will always default to the non-logged settings of AB for your home page.

I hope I haven't totally confused you or lost you. I have tried to explain this as best I can. I trust you know about the two sessions of AB - the logged in version with your bookmarks and AutoFills, and then there is the other version that loads a "vanilla" package of AB without your Bookmarks and AutoFills.

Try testing this out for yourself and see what results you come up with.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:53 pm

I tried last night and couldn't and can't trying it again (very quickly, however) today. If I have time later, I'll sit down and work through this again.

Maybe someone else will be able to reproduce it, too, in the meantime. For the sake of not moving stuff back and forth, let's leave this here for now and move it when it's confirmed either way. My only thought is if there's a quirk in your config file, then you could keep having this issue over and over. If you're willing to dump the .default folder and open a new online storage profile, it might better simulate starting from scratch.

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:56 pm

And actually, I wouldn't "dump," but rather move it elsewhere so that it can be returned if the new one doesn't fix the issue.

If the issue is corrected by letting Avant create a new folder, then everything other than the main conf.dat file should be able to be moved from your old folder int the new one.

MHETWP

Post by MHETWP » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:20 am

Hi Denny,

Well, I did as you asked and moved my .default folder, and then logged into AB. It started the normal routine of creating the config file setup (see below) for the top or bottom setup for the tab bar and the size of the icons, then I set in my e-mail address and password, but again it loaded the page "www.avantfind.com" which is the page that AB is now assigning to the AB browser that is used when you are not logged in. When I did log in, I immediately went into "Tools>Avant Browser Options>Home Page", and in there is still set up my home page that I previously put in there however, even after logging in, it still would not load into the browser.

I did look in and AB did indeed create a new .default folder and config file.

Still don't know what's happening here on my end??? Wish we could figure this one out!!!