Java issues and problems

Help issues and Bug Reports for the current version that have been corrected can be found here. Only staff members may move threads to this forum.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

redphyve
Avant Version:

Java issues and problems

Post by redphyve » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:33 pm

Hello

I am having intermittent issues with java applets in Avant.

Basically the issue is that where the app should be on the page I get a grey box. This is the page:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html
This does not happen in IE6. At all.

What I have done is:

1. Uninstalled both avant and the JRE and reinstalled. Tested on Sun's webpage. It works.
2. Made sure that the JRE, both in the browser and Control Panel, is enabled.
3. As per Nvidia, turned off Anti-Aliasing.
4. Not disabled in Avant.

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

distorted.clarity
Avant Version:

Re: Java issues and problems

Post by distorted.clarity » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:04 am

I get a grey box also running version 11 build 46.

if you want to test your speed while this problem is fixed go to http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/

blitzmaster
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x86
Avant Version: 11.7 build 26
IE Version: IE 8

Post by blitzmaster » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:32 am

try speedtest.net

about the java problem you encountered. works just fine on my avant.
By Any Means Necessary!

Lord Chaos
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Windows Vista 64 Bit
Avant Version: Ver. 11.5 Build 21
IE Version: IE 7

Post by Lord Chaos » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:44 am

Just out of curiosity, how many tabs do you have open?

distorted.clarity
Avant Version:

Post by distorted.clarity » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:22 am

i had 2 this one and that page

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2015 build 27lite
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE 10(64 bit)
Skin: Crystal

Post by Sara » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:45 am

Is it possible that you still have MS Java installed? AAvant will use it preferentially for some reason. See here for help http://www.java.com/en/download/help/uninstall_msvm.xml

Sara :)

redphyve
Avant Version:

Post by redphyve » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:06 am

Sara

Thanks a lot. Your advice to uninstall MS VM was spot-on. Although it showed as not present, when I searched for the individual files, they were present, as well as the registry entries. So I ran the uninstaller from the command-line, followed all instructions and viola! All pages that I had previously had problems with come up.

Again, thanks a bunch. The support as always is appreciated. Just another reason why I recommend Avant to all my friends and colleagues.

Red

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: XP SP1 SP2 SP3 Vista
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 19
IE Version: IE 6 and 7 Firefox

Post by josephrot » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:56 am

redphyve wrote:Hello

I am having intermittent issues with java applets in Avant.

Basically the issue is that where the app should be on the page I get a grey box. This is the page:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html
This does not happen in IE6. At all.
Sounds exactly like what hapens when one's computer has MS JVM installed instead of Sun's JVM.

TOTALLY un-install MS's JVM and get Sun's JVM from http://www.java.com Be sure to have only one JVM installed on the system, that one being Sun's JVM.

UPDATE: Whoops... OK, I see that the problem was solved.
Computers are perfect! Absolutely nothing can guo wonge...
Those are NOT bugs in this software - Only Undocumented Transient Features

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by Sara » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:32 pm

I'm glad things got resolved. I'll move this to the resolved section.

Sara :lol:

NorthPole
Windows Version: Windows 7 (64-bit)
Avant Version: 2013
IE Version: IE 10
Skin: Stickers

Post by NorthPole » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:07 pm

Sara wrote:I'm glad things got resolved. I'll move this to the resolved section.

Sara, I'm not sure this should really be regarded as a 'resolved' issue - although removing the MS Java VM will allow Avant to use the Sun Java VM (if installed), there are some sites (and possibly applications?) which still require the MS version, however undesirable this might be in security terms.

I feel that Avant should either pick up the preferred Java VM from Control Panel > Internet Settings, which allows user selection for IE; or include its own Java VM selection function, if it is not possible to make direct use of the IE setting.

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by Sara » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:48 pm

MS Java is no longer supported (due to a law suit that Sun won), therefore there really is no choice. Older MS Products still have it, but new ones don't, so there really is no need to offer a choice.

Sara :)

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by josephrot » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:47 am

NorthPole wrote:
Sara wrote:I'm glad things got resolved. I'll move this to the resolved section.

Sara, I'm not sure this should really be regarded as a 'resolved' issue - although removing the MS Java VM will allow Avant to use the Sun Java VM (if installed), there are some sites (and possibly applications?) which still require the MS version, however undesirable this might be in security terms.
Sun's JVM is a superset of MS JVM, and it corrects / corrected failings and bad coding in the older MS JVM, aside from the Java lawsuit of quite a few years ago.

Have yet to see any fairly recent vintage web site that MUST be viewed in MS JVM...although the few that I have been told exist, were ultimately found to be coded with "terribly old" JVM tools...some of which WERE tied to MS JVM standards due to the Java coding tools being so old.

Otherwise, I would venture that 99.9% of web sites that are viewed in Win, Mac or Linux systems seem to be fine when those systems are using a current version of Sun's JVM.
Last edited by josephrot on Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

NorthPole
Windows Version: Windows 7 (64-bit)
Avant Version: 2013
IE Version: IE 10
Skin: Stickers

Post by NorthPole » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:36 am

Let's not forget that Java is not just used for viewing websites, but also for running applications - although I'm no expert, I believe that these may not work if the 'wrong' Java is installed. Also a number of MVP's advise that totally removing the MS Java VM is not to be recommended (although they perhaps have a vested interest!).

I really can't see why it's so unreasonable to expect Avant to reflect the IE Java selection, as long as it's available - Avant seems able to do this for most other IE options.

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by josephrot » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:43 am

NorthPole wrote: Also a number of MVP's advise that totally removing the MS Java VM is not to be recommended (although they perhaps have a vested interest!).
I have seen and heard of this "we need both MS and Sun JVM" argument, and so far, not one reasonable MS JVM proponent has "proven" one way or another that as long as the XP's and Vista's of the world run Sun JVM, that this cuases any problems.

But yes, it is an argument that seems to be between the older MVP generation, and the younger ones.

janesca
Avant Version:

Post by janesca » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:31 pm

Well, I don't have VM on my system, but my Java applets DO NOT work in Avant. They work fine in IE7. Any suggestions??

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic

Post by josephrot » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:59 pm

janesca wrote:Well, I don't have VM on my system, but my Java applets DO NOT work in Avant. They work fine in IE7. Any suggestions??
Egad, I may have mis-typed above...

I meant VM as in JVM (Java Virtual Machine), not VM as in MS's or VMWare's Virtual Machine that lets you run one or more operating systems or platforms on one machine.

Presuming nothing is being optioned in Avant to NOT show or allow JavaScript to run / execute... still make sure that Sun's JVM is installed, as JavaScript or not, a missing JVM does affect JavaScript to a point, even though Java and JavaScript are NOT from the same family of codes, nor are they supposedly related in any way -- save for a slight name resemblance.

But... if all is proper otherwise in the system and in the browser, and JavaScript is not running, from any web site or web-page that you otherwise know uses JavaScript...

This could point to something more devious in the operating system, likely something really missing from the system, not the browser or a browser setting.

You are totally positive that the Avant setting that governs JavaScript ( Tools >> Avant Browser Options >> Browsing Options ) that all of the "disable xxxx" boxes are clear... no one has a check in it -- ESPECIALLY the "Scripts" one.

Also, somewhere in the computing twilight zone, there may well be a setting that a lot of third-party Windows "tune-up" software allows you to enable / disable things... and one was a more systemic or global setting to essentially kill off JavaScript throughout the entire system -- I may be wrong or the bats may be in my belfry...but I do seem to recall such as setting existing...one that tweaks the Registry.