MyIE2 vs Avant

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Ladymecha
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Re: MyIE2 vs Avant

Post by Ladymecha » Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:36 pm

the only other one I think equals to this is slimbrowser...
Slimbrowser is just as fast and its ad blocker is good...
the only problem with slimbrowser is its lack of custumizability...
the skins kind of suck on it.
Doctor who, the cure for the common sci fi channel

Sergei
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by Sergei » Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:54 pm

I don't know, I find Slimbrowser messy and cluttered. Most other IE wrappers are.
My Cartoons
:
IE7 ][ Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 ][ Avast! Antivirus ][ Kerio Firewall ][ DSL

Ladymecha
Avant Version:

Post by Ladymecha » Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:07 pm

well uncluttering slimbrower is easy once you configure things a bit...
still I like avant broser better, though Slimbrowser is a close second...
Doctor who, the cure for the common sci fi channel

Pete
Avant Version:

Post by Pete » Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:38 pm

I've been going back and forth between the two for some time.  Here are the pros of each (that have been meaningful to me) that the other doesn't share:

MyIE2

- Greater appearance customizability, i.e. icon/toolbar size, tab size, removal/"shrinking" of menu bar, etc.

- Customizable mouse gestures

- Certain plugins like MyStyle and TabHome and AIM sidebar plugin

Avant Browser

- Fastest I've used

- Better support / forum

- Most user-friendly

- desirable popups appear correctly sized (In MyIE2 all popups are maximized tabs)

- touchpad scrolling on my laptop works properly

Those are my two cents.  I still can't commit either way.  Ideally, I'd love to see Avant integrate some of the things I've listed as pros for IE.  One of the things that has impressed me about Avant is Anderson's dedication to doing those things we all request, so I'm sure many of those things will probably become a reality at some point.  I look forward to it.

osios
Avant Version:

Post by osios » Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:31 pm

Yes, MyIE2 has a few more features (it can be argued how valuable each one is). But.. Yes!! Avant is faster.

That's the way it goes, more features -> less speed, since you can't do EVERYTHING in the same time you do some things. As an example, see that the same argument goes to the old Windows - Linux rivalry: Linux is faster, but Windows has more features.

So you just need to choose your sides here.

My personal choice is very clear - AVANT IS THE BEST
"I hate quotations" --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Odysseus
Avant Version:

Post by Odysseus » Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:44 pm

I have to say that I agree with many of the users here in that Avant is superior in many respects to MyIE2. That being said though, I have been raked over the coals by my more "sophisticated" friends who insist they don't understand why I chose an IE6 shell over a full blown & non Microsoft product like "Mozilla Suite" or "Firebird".

Since I am not a fully accepted member of the Technogensia I replied, because it's easier, faster, and with the right skins looks exactly like IE6. I have my wife and daughter(age 7) who also use this system and I would hear the howls of anguish for sometime if I replaced IE6 with something else, and it just bugs me to take up HD space to have 2 browsers on the dang thing.

Avant rocks, plain and simple.

roth377
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by roth377 » Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:53 pm

As a reply to why using IE shell over Mozilla (which I also use), it's really a simple answer:  That's what the masses use.  I don't mean that in the sense of "be a sheep", but rather that's what most everyone uses, so that's the browser most web designers check for compatability with.  Some web sites just don't work right in Mozilla/Opera.

Is that the way it should be?  No.   Good web designers who have the time should make sure their site works with all browsers.  That's just not the case  :-/
....what smells like blue !?!