Is Avant going the Netscape route????

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

themilkman
Avant Version:

Is Avant going the Netscape route????

Post by themilkman » Thu Oct 16, 2003 12:03 pm

I've been using Avant for quite some time now, and I've been a 'fan' ever since I found out about it, but version 8 is so buggy, with the browser stopping working altogether rapidly when I have more than 2 windows opened that I am now despairing.  

I use Avant for work as the multiple tabs is perfect for what I do (I constantly need a battery of windows opened), and so does my mate, but we are both now considering giving up on Avant entirely and revert to IE, which is a painful option. I have been using IE again for a few days, and it is not good at all, as all the features I love about Avant (tabs, no popups...) aren't there. Unfortunately, I can't work on Moz, so that's me condemned to IE.  

The last version of Avant that worked absolutely fine was version 7, but obviously, there is no way to get it. Maybe it would be a nice gesture to get is back up in the download section so I can revert to that and keep using Avant until version 9 comes out (which hopfully will solve these freeze problems).
themilkman
http://www.themilkfactory.co.uk
Contemporary music for contemporary people
London

TomServo
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Re: Is Avant going the Netscape route????

Post by TomServo » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:39 pm

I would say no.  NS issues were common to all users, Avant issues are really random.  You have freezes and crashes.. I have none.

It really is dependant on each persons computer as to what bugs show themselves.

some are common, like CPU and memory.. but even there it varies greatly.
'Minimal collateral damage' and 'entire star system' do /not/ belong in the same sentence.
- Schlock Mercenary

Sergei
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by Sergei » Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:15 pm

I'm recommending people try the beta version, which has hung on me only once since it came out.
My Cartoons
:
IE7 ][ Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 ][ Avast! Antivirus ][ Kerio Firewall ][ DSL

themilkman
Avant Version:

Post by themilkman » Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:51 pm

I tried the beta version too, but it is worse than ever.  :-[ I really really don't know what to do...
themilkman
London

TomServo
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by TomServo » Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:00 pm

Just some thoughts..
  • What kind of system do you have?
  • Do you install and uninstall a lot?
  • When's the last time you rebuilt the box (MS actually recomends rebuilding the OS once a year.. I do it every 9 months or so)
'Minimal collateral damage' and 'entire star system' do /not/ belong in the same sentence.
- Schlock Mercenary

themilkman
Avant Version:

Post by themilkman » Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:54 pm

• What kind of system do you have? Windows 2000
  • Do you install and uninstall a lot? I don't really
  • When's the last time you rebuilt the box (MS actually recomends rebuilding the OS once a year.. I do it every 9 months or so) This is my work PC, so IT wouldn't really be extatic if I was starting fiddling with their stuff.
The strange thing is that the guy I work with has exactly the same set up as mine, except that he PC is a bit more recent than mine, and both our versions of Avant have stopped working properly with version 8.
themilkman
London

Sara
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 2015 build 27lite
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: IE 10(64 bit)
Skin: Crystal

Post by Sara » Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:01 pm

I can send you 7.02.5beta.  It seems to be the only one of the 7 series I've got. PM me your E-mail if you want it. I  have had very little trouble with any of the 8's although I de-installed the first 8.03 beta.

Sara :)

roth377
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by roth377 » Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:17 pm

I agree with Tom in respect that some machines are just having major problems with version 8.  It's unfortunate, because some of these bugs just don't surface for me (so I can't "feel your pain").

I hope we can maybe pinpoint your problem in this thread, but one things certain, NEVER go back to IE.  If anything, try out other IE-based tabbed browsers.  A close second to Avant is MyIE2.  I would choose that over IE anyday.
....what smells like blue !?!

vtel57
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: N/A
Avant Version: N/A
Default engine: N/A
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A

Post by vtel57 » Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:28 am

I have many of the "7" series of Avant on disk. I'd be happy to send you whichever version you'd like to have. I'll need your email address to send it to you.

You can email me at the address in my sigline with your email addy and which version you'd like me to send you.

Later...

~Eric

PS: Put "Avant v.7" in the subject line so if my SPAM filter trashes your email, I will see it in my bulk folder.

V. T. Eric Layton
***Tempus Fugits***

terracesider
Avant Version:

Post by terracesider » Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:01 pm

I'm on Windows XP SP1 and I too am having problems with Avant 8 crashing with multiple windows open. I've tried going back to Netscape and Opera, but they just seem so infereior. I trust you can sort it out, in the meantime I suppose I'll just have to put up with it, and close the other tabs if I don't want to lose anything I'm typing in.

Sometimes I open IE just to remind myself why I hate it so much. :lol:

themilkman
Avant Version:

Post by themilkman » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:39 pm

This is actually a really strange issue. I've tried to install the latest version at work today, but straight away, there are issues and I can't do anything. At home though, it's all working fine. Shame really as I am condemned (thanks to Sara :wink: ) to work on v.7. That one works really well. Oh well... better than nothing I suppose.

Moby
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe
Avant Version:

Post by Moby » Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:37 am

I suppose I must be just lucky having experienced very few of the bugs others seem to suffer from. In fact I can't remember having a serious one at all, just the sillies like the download problem (now solved) and a few oddities with favicons and the like with earlier versions.
But no locking up, memory problems, page loading problems, display problems etc.

I've upgraded each time a new version has come out and on one machine I always run the latest beta. Apart from giving me better and better facilities, the upgrades have had no effect on my basically troublefree browsing.

As I say, maybe luck, may it continue!!

BTW: WinXP Pro, all updates, Athlon XP 1600, 512Mb ram

StOrM
Avant Version:

Post by StOrM » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:57 pm

is that you milkman?

themilkman
Avant Version:

Post by themilkman » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:32 pm

StOrM wrote:is that you milkman?
I suppose... Depends where you know me from :lol:

StOrM
Avant Version:

Post by StOrM » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:56 pm

*cough*.net*cough*

themilkman
Avant Version:

Post by themilkman » Thu Nov 13, 2003 9:16 pm

It could well be me then ;) You want to have that cough seen to btw :lol:

So, you're an Avant user too then? I know there's a big debate between Avant and Moz, but I still tend to find Moz (Firebird) rather slow.

StOrM
Avant Version:

Post by StOrM » Fri Nov 14, 2003 7:59 pm

yep me too infact i find it alot faster, i like it even better as its IE based so works with all active X controls