Orca safe to use?

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

brian12
Windows Version: Xp
Avant Version: Orca
IE Version: IE8

Re: Orca safe to use?

Post by brian12 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:41 pm

I believe that you can do it by setting avant.exe to 0, in regedit. start > run > regedit, browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_SECURITYBAND, and change it to 0. I highly recommend not to change anything else, unless you know what you are doing. you can ruin your Windows installation this way.
I already tried that and it just resets itself to 1. Weird thing is after setting it to 0 instead of getting the yellow infobar at the top you get a dialog box instead. Its not really important though because I dont like IE anyways and I was just giving Avant a try because I hadnt used it in years.

I am still looking for a browser that I can use for my day to day surfing without having to change to another browser for certain sites or issues. Firefox 3 is stable as **** and Ive not really had any issues with sites with it. My problem with it is that it still uses massive amounts of resources even though the memory leaks have been fixed. Safari is fast and light on resources but it has problems with secure sites like gmail and hotmail. It crashes quite often on these sites or doesnt load them. I havent used IE on a regular basis since about 02, 03. Enough said. Opera, what I originally replaced IE with, has gone down hill over the years. Since about version 8 Ive had problems with sites not being displayed correctly, Ebay especially, and it uses a lot more resources then it use to(also crashes a lot which it didnt use to). I was hoping 9.5 would resolve these issues but alas it still does not display ebay pages correctly. Im also having to hit the back button 3 times on ebay just to get it to work.

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: 8

Re: Orca safe to use?

Post by abfan123 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:52 pm

IE6SP2,I7 & IE8 can only be installed on XPSP2/2003/Vista/2008.
So there's no such thing as the information bar on 2000/NT/XPSP1/ME/98/98SE/95/3.11 etc (I know, That's not the correct order...)
As of scripts, I see absolutely nothing wrong with scripts...
Yeah, They can harm your PC, But it's like...
Should there be some law that will completely ban the selling of knifes & guns because some bad people can use them to kill or ban the selling of medicines because some people are using them to commit suicide? I don't think so...
Scripts may be very useful when used for the good purposes...
IE8(Pro), Microsoft Security Essentials
Main PC:
Secondary PC same as primary but with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate as the OS.