Possible stall cause

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

addonsfan
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A

Possible stall cause

Post by addonsfan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:20 am

I've noticed that Avant Browser stalls very badly when high internet traffic is occuring in other programs. For example, Adobe Updater is download some 200mb files... Avant Browser is expected to have slower internet, but not only is it's internet slow; Avant Browser itself is slow. It stopped responding numerous times during the download. AdobeUpdater.exe was not taking more than 20% cpu. If I paused the download, Avant Browser immediately responded.

flowrush
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: Win7.64bit.HP
Avant Version: 2010b122
IE Version: 8.0.6001

Re: Possible stall cause

Post by flowrush » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:30 pm

My Avant has been stalling or not loading pages altogether lately. Might have something to do with the near 1gb memory though.

addonsfan
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: N/A
IE Version: N/A

Post by addonsfan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:48 pm

I don't really want this thread to turn into yet another thread about memory management issues. Avant memory is always relatively low on my machine, so I doubt it was the cause of Avant going slow. The main thing I noticed is that Avant's CPU spiked, while there was high internet usage in the Adobe Updater. As far as I could tell, it was not related with memory at all.

I'm not sure if this is really a problem as of yet, and I don't want anyone to take this thread as a help request. I think it could be a key some problems with Avant. Though, I'm probably wrong. I think it deserves some attention.

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: XP SP1 SP2 SP3 Vista
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 19
IE Version: IE 6 and 7 Firefox

Post by josephrot » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:16 pm

addonsfan wrote:I don't really want this thread to turn into yet another thread about memory management issues. Avant memory is always relatively low on my machine, so I doubt it was the cause of Avant going slow. The main thing I noticed is that Avant's CPU spiked, while there was high internet usage in the Adobe Updater. As far as I could tell, it was not related with memory at all.

I'm not sure if this is really a problem as of yet, and I don't want anyone to take this thread as a help request. I think it could be a key some problems with Avant. Though, I'm probably wrong. I think it deserves some attention.

May not be 100% responsible for what's being seen, but do keep in mind that at a minimum, Avant is still overall a single-threaded browser, and as a usual statement, when it slows down or appears to stop operations for a while, so goes your system too.
Computers are perfect! Absolutely nothing can guo wonge...
Those are NOT bugs in this software - Only Undocumented Transient Features

josephrot
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: XP SP1 SP2 SP3 Vista
Avant Version: 11.7 Build 19
IE Version: IE 6 and 7 Firefox

Another item to ponder single-threaded browsers...

Post by josephrot » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:22 pm

Another item to ponder single-threaded browsers...

If you have a firewall working, usually hardware as well as software firewalls, will "interact" with mono-threaded browsers to sometimes crash the Firewall -- leaving you defenseless to the world -- and sometimes even crash the web browser as well.

This is especially seen IF you have multiple tabs to be opened, and a software in question calls for the browser, BUT, you have manually or automatically (say on a Firewall list) told the Firewall to NOT pass a certain web URL or site that is opening.

In that case, many firewall's will "command" the browser to halt ALL tab openings, regardless if you want or need them to open in the browser or not, and if you try to work around that problem, many firewalls will crash, leaving one and their system momentarily defenseless, while the web browser will not open ANY of the required tabs / sites / web pages, etc. Of course, you quickly have to restart the firewall or re-enable it, of course.

It gets a little laborious to text the whole of what happens, but I think the point has gotten across. At least in this little acre of space, multi-threaded browsers do not seem to suffer this malady.

JR
Computers are perfect! Absolutely nothing can guo wonge...
Those are NOT bugs in this software - Only Undocumented Transient Features