The Way To Successfully Enable Google Toolbar

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

mariano81
Windows Version: vista
Avant Version: 1.1
IE Version: n/a

The Way To Successfully Enable Google Toolbar

Post by mariano81 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:41 am

How can we enable the Google Toolbar. It comes out blank in the toolbars after I install google toolbar for Fire Fox. How can we enable it?

statm1
Windows Version: Windows 8/7
Avant Version: 2012 Build 181
IE Version: 10

Re: The Way To Successfully Enable Google Toolbar

Post by statm1 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:57 am

Firefox or Orca?
-- Matt --

mariano81

Post by mariano81 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:49 pm

In Orca. It already works in FireFox.

I Opened Orca, went to http://toolbar.google.com, it recognized as firefox, I installed it, restarted Orca, but nothing. It shows in View >> Toolbars >> Google , but when I check it i get a blank tool bar.

In FireFox, and Avant I did it the same way as above, and it did work.

Did I do something wrong for Orca Google Toolbar Installation?

mariano81

Post by mariano81 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:56 pm

Has anyone been able to install google toolbar in Orca successfully?

Nomikos
Windows Version: XP
Avant Version: 11
IE Version: 7.0

Post by Nomikos » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:17 pm

The interface (the toolbars) are part of the programmer's executable. This is what gives Orca its speed. The programmer does not use the full chrome in the gecko engine to implement the creation of toolbars from what I have seen. Ad-ons seem to work where no manipulation of things like toolbars, scrolls, or footings are involved.

mariano81

Post by mariano81 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:25 pm

Thanks Nomikos,

You mean to tell me that it should have worked, by doing this:

I Opened Orca, went to http://toolbar.google.com, it recognized as firefox, I installed it, restarted Orca, but nothing. It shows in View >> Toolbars >> Google , but when I check it i get a blank tool bar.

??

And if id didn't, it is because some other reason? I am using Visa Business and I also use Advant Browser for EI. Could it be that the toolbars are in conflict?

I really miss my google toolbar, but I do love the speed of orca working with heavy ajax web applications.

mariano81

Post by mariano81 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:26 pm

Statm1,

What is your take in this?

Is it a bug?

Nomikos
Avant Version: 11
IE Version: 7.0

Post by Nomikos » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:44 pm

@mariano81 - The gecko engine is basically a set of commands not unlike javascript that can be accessed basically through a "macro". Essentially, staying within the chrome of the engine one can create a browser. But, like most interpreted programs, it will run slower. Creating a C or a C++ interface especially in a Windows environment can speed up the "frame" of the browser spectacularly allowing the heart of the browser to interact with a webpage. So, things like Menus, tabs, scroll bars, etc., are produced through the executable portion of the program. This means that parts of the chrome that would normally do this work and create a result (like creating a new toolbar) are by-passed and will not interact appropriately in Orca. The programmer essentially has created an executable not unlike Avant's but which runs with both the Gecko engines and the Trident engines. This is no simple feat. Undoubtedly, he intended to to have one executable that could run both engines where the user could detach one and run the other. Very difficult piece of programming.

In any event - at this stage until the programmer opens his code to allow the gecko engine to assume more of the framework of the browser, ad-ons and extensions which wish to modify the essential framework will not have that effect. They will react with the components in the gecko engine, but since many of those functions are not utilized, there will be no effect. It isn't a bug; it is just the way the program is written. You could look on the bright side - it does make the browser more secure.

statm1

Post by statm1 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:00 pm

My take on this is... That Nomikos is right but to expound on what he said alittle further.. Firefox interface is basically a webpage itself. It is all made by javascript (with a few exceptions of course), that is why extensions are easily installed and are able to change the browser how it sees fit. The difference between Firefox and Orca is that Orca's interface is not a website and it doesn't use javascript. Its hard code that for the time being is not written to support being dynamically changed by an extension.

But there is a difference between Google Toolbar for IE/Avant and their toolbar for Firefox. They make their toolbar into an extension and try to "change" the interface to add a toolbar to the browser. And since google thinks Orca is Firefox it won't let you install it into Orca the way they install it into IE/Avant. So no its not really a bug in Orca.
-- Matt --

mariano81

Post by mariano81 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:25 am

Statm1,

Thank you for your reply. So, is there any way I can make the google toolbar work? Why else would it be in the toolbars?

I think users of Orca, would appreciate having the google toolbar in Orca. :)

So, is this an issue only for me, or Orca does not support google toolbar?

Thanks.

statm1

Post by statm1 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:37 am

Orca doesn't support the way Google has made its toolbar for Firefox.. If there was a way to install Google's IE toolbar in Orca then it "might" work. But I don't think there is.
-- Matt --

mariano81

Post by mariano81 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:03 am

Than, it is a bug, because, right now it shows google as option in the toolbar. Thus, users of Orca will expect it to work because it is there. If Orca is not supporting it, then the google option should not be in there. Otherwise users will see google as an option in the toolbars and if it doesn't work, it becomes an apperant bug by defacto.

If Orca, is not going to support either the IE google toolbar, or the FireFox goolge toolbar, than it should not be there. Right? Can you guys create your own google toolbar?

statm1

Post by statm1 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:28 am

Well, that depends on what you use the toolbar for.. If you just use it to search then the existing search bar that comes with Orca can do that.. You just change the search engine it uses in the options..

You can find out how here: http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic ... 21&t=16042 it works the same way in Orca.
-- Matt --

bigf28
Avant Version: 11.7 build15
IE Version: 8

Post by bigf28 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:19 pm

Not only google toolbar is not working. Same problem with other toolbars too. So I must agree with mariano81 it's an orca bug...