Graphics don't load on many pages

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

Paradox
Avant Version:

Graphics don't load on many pages

Post by Paradox » Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:45 am

Greetings!

I've been using Avant for the past several months, and I love it-  except for one problem (I waited to see if it would reoccur in the latest build- it does):

When opening graphics intensive pages (especially, BUT NOT ONLY when opening many pages in a group), the graphics will not load on the page, leaving lots of cute little X's all over the page.

I'm on a high functionality Cable connection, so it's not bandwidth issues, and when I use regular internet explorer I've never seen this happen.

I'm using Windows XP Professional, I don't use a proxy, though I do have a software firewall running (Norton).

This phenomenon has, specifically, occured often when accessing sites such as http://www.slashdot.org and http://www.penny-arcade.com

Any advice would be great!

eldryne
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Re: Graphics don't load on many pages

Post by eldryne » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:33 am

I find that it happens a lot on forums. Don't know what's causing it. Usually a page refresh fixes it up.

Logan
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by Logan » Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:00 am

Do you use Norton's Internet Security, if so check these tread out it may help you.
http://forum.avantbrowser.com/YaBB.cgi? ... 1061776227

TomServo
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by TomServo » Thu Sep 04, 2003 3:50 pm

Could also be a cache issue.  I am on /. and penny arcade daily for work and home (Multiple T3 down to a 26.4K modem) and I have no problems with the images.

I use Syquest Personal firewall at home also.

I keep my cache at 15Mb in size.
'Minimal collateral damage' and 'entire star system' do /not/ belong in the same sentence.
- Schlock Mercenary

eldryne
Avant Version:

Post by eldryne » Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:06 pm

I don't use Norton Internet Security, no. My cache is set at 1MB though. I think I can live with a few display problems if that's all that's causing the problem. :)

Cheers!

genev
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Post by genev » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:15 pm

Hi,

I am having the images not loading problem in the latest 106 too (with the red-X). I ended up having to right-click and show pictures on some sites and also to refresh it couple of times. One of these websites include:

http://www.straitstimes.com.sg/

I had to refresh it 4 times to get the items on the left side navigation menu to load completely.

I am not using the Norton app and &I always empty my browser cache so as to get the most updated webpages. The previous build does not have this problem.
using version 8.02 build 106

crom
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by crom » Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:00 pm

I have the visualization problems on some forums as well...
Cleaning IE's cache may help, sometimes...

anyway, as for the site linked by Paradox, I fully loaded it on my 1st attempt...so it's got to be some cache issue, not related to AB..
If I die I have to go before Crom and he will ask me:
"What is the rule of Steel?"
And if I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me!
That's Crom, strong on his mountain..

roth377
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by roth377 » Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:58 pm

I thought this had been discussed before, but I can't find any links.

I was under the impression that IE (not Avant) is notorious for not loading graphics periodically.  So can it be that's what we're seeing here, or can someone that's having problems test it in IE and let us know if it's working fine there?

....what smells like blue !?!

TomServo
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by TomServo » Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:02 pm

It "mainly" has to do with connection/connection speed.  If an image is not loaded, and rightlocking and loading bring is it in.  Thent he problem is that the server you are connecting too is closing off your connections.

I get this with CNN all the time at home.. images will not load, heck, even entire pages will not load.. or they will almost all be loaded and then come up with a "server connection lost" message.

This is with IE, avant, firebird.
'Minimal collateral damage' and 'entire star system' do /not/ belong in the same sentence.
- Schlock Mercenary

genev
Semi-Fan
Semi-Fan
Avant Version:

Post by genev » Thu Oct 16, 2003 11:30 pm

I thought this had been discussed before, but I can't find any links.

I was under the impression that IE (not Avant) is notorious for not loading graphics periodically.  So can it be that's what we're seeing here, or can someone that's having problems test it in IE and let us know if it's working fine there?

Oops, it is happening in IE as well! But it does not happen in Firebird and MyIE2 (cache cleared before testing)  :-/
using version 8.02 build 106

generalsebert
Avant Version:

Post by generalsebert » Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:43 pm

I had the same issue.

The same problem happened in Internet Explorer 6.

I could not access certain urls and images could not load.

I thought it came from IE 6.0 so I called Microsoft but they could not help me. I then discovered I had twice the AvantBrowser .exe program in the Avant Browser directory  under two different names (avbrowser.exe - if I remember well - and avant.exe).

I have then completely uninstalled Avant Browser, removed the directory, cleaned the registry removing every single entry related to Avant Browser I could find and made a reboot of my computer.

I then reinstalled the program and checked. The problem had disappeared both in AB and in IE6. It's working fine now.

Sergei
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by Sergei » Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:39 pm

I was under the impression that IE (not Avant) is notorious for not loading graphics periodically.
I've found Firebird to be the worst culprit here. It seems to 'give up' on loading a picture and call a page finished sooner than IE would. In this way it gives the impression that it's faster than it really is, along with caching entire pages and fetching these instead of the actual page - which might have changed.
My Cartoons
:
IE7 ][ Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 ][ Avast! Antivirus ][ Kerio Firewall ][ DSL

roth377
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by roth377 » Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:40 am

I thought it came from IE 6.0 so I called Microsoft but they could not help me.

Doesn't suprise me one bit.  For such a huge company....and I mean HUGE, they have the WORST customer service I think i ever seen, in regards to taking responsibility.

They pass EVERTHING on to the OEM (it seems).  Only if you're willing to pay big bucks will they help you.

Why doesn't Bill Gates take a .000001% paycut and actually spend it on helping people who buy their products?

....whew....sorry....I'll get off my soapbox now. :)
....what smells like blue !?!

Sergei
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by Sergei » Sun Oct 19, 2003 6:03 pm

How to become the richest person in the world:

1) Make a product that hundreds of millions of  people pretty much have to get.

2) Make sure it doesn't work right.

3) Charge for support.
My Cartoons
:
IE7 ][ Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 ][ Avast! Antivirus ][ Kerio Firewall ][ DSL