Is AB becoming bloatware?

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

arrivo
Avant Version:

Is AB becoming bloatware?

Post by arrivo » Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:47 am

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Avant Browser... but the latest series of bugs... serious ones, such as an incompatibility with a Norton Internet Security (a very common app) has shaken my confidence somewhat.

I see the size of the download for absetup.exe increasing with every release...as more and more features are packed into it - but at what price?

Right now I will not be upgrading this Browser from v8.02 207 for some time... not until I see that these bugs are acknowledged, addressed, and fixed.

Right now its performing just fine, and quite frankly there is no need to fall victim to the seemingly monthly upgrade cycle when it is working fine as it is. New features are swell and all, but I fear that with the latest releases we are simply seeing too much coming down the pipe and too fast, which in turn may simply harm AB's up til now stellar reputation.

Just my 2 cents, but its a concern I think needs to be said.

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: 10, 8.0, 8.1, 7, Vista, XP
Avant Version: 13.00 Build 23
Default engine: Gecko
IE Version: 7.x, 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, 11.x
Skin: AthenX

Re: Is AB becoming bloatware?

Post by MysteryFCM » Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:08 am

arrivo wrote:Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Avant Browser... but the latest series of bugs... serious ones, such as an incompatibility with a Norton Internet Security (a very common app) has shaken my confidence somewhat.
Anderson is working on fixing the bug's now that v9 is finished. Please bear with him (as I developer myself, I know how frustrating and tiresome it can be).
arrivo wrote:I see the size of the download for absetup.exe increasing with every release...as more and more features are packed into it - but at what price?
File sizes for programs quite often go up, regardless of the program or additions etc. For example, I added one line of coding to one of my applications a few months ago, and that one line added 30kb to the file size.
arrivo wrote:Right now I will not be upgrading this Browser from v8.02 207 for some time... not until I see that these bugs are acknowledged, addressed, and fixed.
From what I can gather, the main issue is with the resources. To be honest, I've upgraded specifically because of it (I don't actually need half of the features that Avant has.... I just find it far superior to all the others I've tried).
arrivo wrote:Right now its performing just fine, and quite frankly there is no need to fall victim to the seemingly monthly upgrade cycle when it is working fine as it is. New features are swell and all, but I fear that with the latest releases we are simply seeing too much coming down the pipe and too fast, which in turn may simply harm AB's up til now stellar reputation.

Individual opinions are a good thing... trust me. It's what makes life interesting :wink:

Sergei
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by Sergei » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:28 am

What's the issue with Norton Internet Security?
My Cartoons
:
IE7 ][ Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 ][ Avast! Antivirus ][ Kerio Firewall ][ DSL

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Norton

Post by hornakapopolis » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:38 am

I've had Norton Internet Security 2003 and SystemWorks 2003 since I started using Avant. I've heard other people say that they've had problems with Norton, too.

I haven't has any, but I'm an interested in knowing what problems you're running into.

TomServo
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by TomServo » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:40 pm

To be honet... 98% of Norton's apps are complete crap and should be avoided.

Took me a while.. but I got out department Norton Free last year.. my support isses have dropped A LOT since then. heh.
'Minimal collateral damage' and 'entire star system' do /not/ belong in the same sentence.
- Schlock Mercenary

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MysteryFCM » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:45 pm

TomServo wrote:To be honet... 98% of Norton's apps are complete crap and should be avoided.
I'd have said 100% of them.

crom
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by crom » Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:50 pm

Symantec's stuff sucks! it's good only to bloat your system!
All of you should - MUST! - get rid of it!
...and keep on updating AB when necessary! :wink:
If I die I have to go before Crom and he will ask me:
"What is the rule of Steel?"
And if I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me!
That's Crom, strong on his mountain..

a12345
Avant Version:

Re: Is AB becoming bloatware?

Post by a12345 » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:22 pm

arrivo wrote:Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Avant Browser... but the latest series of bugs... serious ones, such as an incompatibility with a Norton Internet Security (a very common app) has shaken my confidence somewhat.

I see the size of the download for absetup.exe increasing with every release...as more and more features are packed into it - but at what price?

Right now I will not be upgrading this Browser from v8.02 207 for some time... not until I see that these bugs are acknowledged, addressed, and fixed.

Right now its performing just fine, and quite frankly there is no need to fall victim to the seemingly monthly upgrade cycle when it is working fine as it is. New features are swell and all, but I fear that with the latest releases we are simply seeing too much coming down the pipe and too fast, which in turn may simply harm AB's up til now stellar reputation.

arrivo,

Looks like several issues are being mixed here. Let me chip in my 2 cents.

1. I don't use NIS, but I do use NSW (Norton System Works), seems the combination works fine.

2. Frequent release is good or bad, depends on who you are. But in general, I think all these releases are for the good of the product: Avant. It means constantly being maintained, new features (more on this later) being implemented. The pre-release may contain bugs, but as any freeware, it's actually very helpful from the development life cycle perspective. The author can't afford a QA team to test product, it relies on the general public to test the product (these days, even large software companies are doing this, just look at microsoft) As a user, you have your choice. If you are not willing to test new releases, stick to the old one you are happy with. But please don't convince others not to, even if they want to. Their usage/test will for sure add to the value of this type of development life cycle. Linux is a perfect example for this effort. On this note, maybe the development team (in this case the author) can release production version and development version just as linux does? But I am afraid that will complicate his efforts.

2. The ever mentioned beloated issue. It's a trade off, as always. Let me illustrate. I came from unix world. Unix/Linux combines many different simple command line commands, which a power user can use to make very efficient use of it, for example:

cat file | grep /pattern/ | sort | cut 1-3 | more

The above mentioned serious of command which pipe the output from the previous command into the input as the next command is commonly used when I do data manipulation on a unix machine. Can one argue then, let's only implement these beautiful little command? In order to make things more efficient, I always write shell script to combine these commands together to do the data manipulations. What does these have to do Avant? You might ask. Well, these come down to the evolution of the Windows (Xwindows in the unix world).

Now back to Avant. My intuition is that the author seems to want it do what Internet Explorer combined with Windows/File Explorer do. See my topic on "Avant as a tabbed file browser, ..." Should he or should not he?

If he didn't, I would have to open a new program to explore my directories, this program will either be the Window Explorer that comes with Windows (which has not tabbed feature, and big and slow) or a third party software such as tabexplorer or 2xexplorer (both support tabbed explorer). Now the question is, will this be better? That totally depends on you. Are two products better than one for you? I, for one, wanted A product that can support both. And I am convinced that the author sees that way too. This design philosophy actually fits microsoft's original vision, treat remote the same way as if it's local when it comes down to browsing. I can easily flip between my local drives as well as the remote site in the same program-Avant.

Anyway, sorry for being long in this post.

happy browsing :)

A

Sergei
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by Sergei » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:31 pm

[Tangent]
TomServo wrote:To be honest... 98% of Norton's apps are complete crap and should be avoided.
Yay! I'm not alone. Their antivirus might be okay, but all the rest I distrust.

And to be even-handed, I hate McAfee too... Ever tried McAfee Uninstaller? Don't! It can't be uninstalled!!!

[/Tangent]
My Cartoons
:
IE7 ][ Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 ][ Avast! Antivirus ][ Kerio Firewall ][ DSL

cgirlz
Avant Version:

Post by cgirlz » Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:09 am

Sergei wrote:[Tangent]
TomServo wrote:To be honest... 98% of Norton's apps are complete crap and should be avoided.
Yay! I'm not alone. Their antivirus might be okay, but all the rest I distrust.

And to be even-handed, I hate McAfee too... Ever tried McAfee Uninstaller? Don't! It can't be uninstalled!!!

[/Tangent]
Oh don't be silly. All you have to do to uninstall McAfee's software, is the same thing that Dell's support people will tell you to do if you have any problem :arrow: format the hardrive and resintall windows!!
:D

Sergei
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by Sergei » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:54 pm

Dude, you're getting a lobotomy.
My Cartoons
:

MysteryFCM
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MysteryFCM » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:57 pm

cgirlz wrote:Oh don't be silly. All you have to do to uninstall McAfee's software, is the same thing that Dell's support people will tell you to do if you have any problem :arrow: format the hardrive and resintall windows!!
Strangely enough, ack nevermind (me thinks my braincells have gone on vacation again........the gits!)