How do you "arrange" pages?

These archives contain old topics that were moved here to prevent clutter in the forums. These threads may still contain some useful information.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

barrytraver
Avant Version:

How do you "arrange" pages?

Post by barrytraver » Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:51 pm

According to this Web site elsewhere, "All opened pages can be easily stopped, refreshed, closed or _arranged_ with one click."

What does "arranged" mean?

Actually, my real question is this:  what can be done to re-arrange pages, say, in a Group?  I have no trouble adding or removing, but I can't figure out a way to re-order the pages in a group.

Suppose I want them to be arranged in alphabetical order or in some other meaningful arrangement?  How can I do that?

Any advice?

Barry Traver

bigC
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2016 Build 1
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11
Skin: Crystal

Re: How do you "arrange" pages?

Post by bigC » Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:02 pm

What does "arranged" mean?
I think that just means the commands under the windows menu. Cascade, tile horizontally, etc..

I don't use groups so can't help ya there. sorry

batigolaso
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by batigolaso » Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:37 pm

you cannot arrange the tabs right now. sorry. Not even the groups so that they open in a specific order.
"In a minute there is time for decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse." -The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

barrytraver
Avant Version:

Post by barrytraver » Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:19 am

OK.  Here's a work-around, which takes longer to describe than it takes to perform.

First, do a File/Close All.  Then load in the Groups that you want to re-arrange, using Groups/Open All Links in This Group.  Then do it again ... and again ... and again, until you've done it as many times as there are pages in the Group.

Then do a Groups/Create New Group and remove check marks appropriately (so that pages remaining checked will be the items in the desired order).  Finally, save the result under the old Group name, overwriting the earlier version.

The end result is that you have re-arranged the order of the pages in that Group.  (Now, if I can only think of a work-around to re-arrange the Groups themselves .... )

Barry Traver

barrytraver
Avant Version:

Post by barrytraver » Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:36 am

Here's another work-around (but I think it's more time-consuming)....

First, do a File/Close All.  Then load in what you want to be the first page of your Group (do Groups, choose  your Group, choose your page).   Then do a File/New Blank Page.  Then load in what you want to be the second page of your Group (again, do Groups, choose your Group, choose your page).  Then do a File/New Blank Page.  Then load in what you want to be the third page of your Group.  And so on.

Then do a Groups/Create New Group.  Save the result under the old Group name, overwriting the earlier version.

Once again, the end result is that the original Group has now been re-arranged and is now in a new order.

By the way, has anyone figured out what files are involved?  (I suppose their being in ASCII text format is something that is too much to be hoped for .... )

Barry Traver

batigolaso
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by batigolaso » Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:49 am

By the way, has anyone figured out what files are involved?  (I suppose their being in ASCII text format is something that is too much to be hoped for .... )

Barry Traver

This has been known for a while. groups.dat. You can find it in c:\documents and settings\username\application data\avant browser

where c:\ = your sysytem drive
"In a minute there is time for decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse." -The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

barrytraver
Avant Version:

Post by barrytraver » Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:55 am

Thanks!  It _is_ an ASCII file, so if I can figure out how the file is set up, then I should be able to write a VB program to allow some rearranging of Groups and/or pages within Groups.  (Or has someone already done this?)

Barry Traver

barrytraver
Avant Version:

Post by barrytraver » Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:10 am

It _is_ simple.  The Groups are set off by [ ], and after that is simply, one by one, names and links of the individual pages.

It shouldn't be a lot of work to write, but it will be some (especially if I include the ability to re-arrange Web pages as well as groups).  Has anyone done this already?  If not, would there be interest in it?  And is there a place around here where I could upload it as, say, "donationware" (to get some return for labor invested)?  (Is this covered in the rules for this board?  Should I have actually read them rather than assuming what they would say?)

By the way, I'd be doing it not as an "add-in," but as a separate program.  I'm not a professional programmer, but primarily write utilities, educational programs, and logical games for friends.

Barry Traver

batigolaso
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by batigolaso » Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:18 am

hi, if you wrote the program and made it freeware, we would have no objection to post it on the main page. However, any adware cannot be put on the main page, as avant itself is free and anderson intends to keep it as such.

barrytraver
Avant Version:

Post by barrytraver » Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:42 am

OK.  If I'm to distribute it as freeware, let's first see if there's any interest here in a separate program that will allow people to rearrange Groups and to rearrange Web pages in the Groups.

So ... are there people out there interested in such a separate utility if it were available here as freeware?  Post so that I will know.

P.S.  I do note that on the Help menu for Avant, there is in bold print "Donate  to Advant  Browser."  Would it be acceptable for me to allow donations for my utility?  Avant is freeware, but it is also what I called "donationware," so I would hope that Che Anderson would have no objection to my doing something like that as keeping in the tradition.

P.S.  Changing the subject, you may be interested in a review of Avant that I posted on a church-related bulletin board.  The following will get you there:  http://snurl.com/21by .

barak2345
Avant Version:

Post by barak2345 » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:21 am

yes

batigolaso
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by batigolaso » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:33 am

you will have to ask Anderson personally about the donation aspect, but I do not think he would mind. But ask him first. He owns all the rights to the program.

barrytraver
Avant Version:

Post by barrytraver » Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:02 pm

I sent him a private message.  We'll see what he says.  (In the meantime, I'll see if I can write a "quick and dirty" version of the program for my own use.)

Barry Traver

batigolaso
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by batigolaso » Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:09 pm

he probably will not respond to your message for a while. he's currently moving apartments...

barrytraver
Avant Version:

Post by barrytraver » Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:50 pm

batigolasko,

I sent him a private note back on August 13th or 14th, but I haven't heard anything yet.  Should I just be patient a bit longer, or should I send another note?  (I know that you said he was moving apartments, which can be a rather unsettling experience.)

Barry Traver

P.S.  For those who don't want to wait for a program, the data file is simple enough in format to be edited by hand.  For those who are programmers and know Visual Basic, the only controls that are needed are the ListView and TreeView controls to do the arranging.  The most helpful resource I found for ListViewas the discussion on pp. 186-198 of Evan S. Dictor's Visual Basic Controls in a Nutshell (O'Reilly, 1999), which includes sample code.  There's a good discussion of ListView and TreeView in Rod Stephens' Ready-to-Run Visual Basic Code Library (John Wiley & Sons, 1999).

Barry Traver