Save layout of windows in group

If you have suggestions to make Avant Browser even better, describe them here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

corky
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Save layout of windows in group

Post by corky » Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:56 am

One of the nice things about an MDI browser is that you can open up several windows at a time, tile them nicely, and then --- if it's a cool browser like Avant --- set them to auto-update at some suitable interval.

Today I created a new group, with a few URLs to some sites I use to watch the stock market.  This site has a good graph of the Dow, that one has the value of various indexes, and this one has running commentary by an analyst I like.  Set 'em all up in a pleasing arrangement, set auto-update on the ones that don't push updates, then kick back and watch the action.  Cool.

Unfortunately, when I reopen this group the next day, my window arrangement is lost.   :-(

So, I'd like to suggest yet another feature related to groups:  the ability to save a windows layout for each group.  I think it needs to be done on a per-group basis, because the number of windows in each groups varies, and the best arrangement will too.  Sometimes I'll want 'em all maximized, sometimes I'll want 'em tiled.  It depends on what I've put in that group.

Couple this with one of my previous suggestions (closing all the currently-open windows before opening all the windows in a group) and you get the ability to quickly switch from one "dashboard" to another.

batigolaso
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Re: Save layout of windows in group

Post by batigolaso » Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:04 am

a user recently asked how to arrange the groups (at least in tab order), and he found a way...i suggest searching for groups.dat (that'st he file you'll need to modify). There is no way to save teh layout of the pages though...
"In a minute there is time for decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse." -The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock