Occasional error: Something went wrong with this webpage...

Please put your bug reports here, and only here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Avant Version: 2012 Ult. build 197
Default engine: Mozilla Firefox
IE Version: 10.0
Skin: AthenX

Re: Occasional error: Something went wrong with this webpage

Post by notestracker » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:36 am

It's really hard to understand what causes this error. A day or two ago I had no more than about 14 or 15 tabs open and got the error several times. After that, with almost twice as many tabs open I haven't gotten the error at all -- but it might be just around the corner!

My guess still is that it's caused by web page (tab) contents rather than number of tabs open. I have a suspicion that Flash might be causing it, because I've had a number of crashes of Firefox over the last few days which seem to be Flash-related (though not 100,00000% certain of that). ... So I'm still in a state of puzzlement.
Tony Austin
CEO, Asia/Pacific Computer Services
http://notestracker.com/ and http://notestracker.net/

Dreamer
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe
Windows Version: 10 64-bit
Avant Version: 2019 Build 2 USB
Default engine: Firefox
IE Version: 11.51.14393.0
Skin: Dream

Post by Dreamer » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:51 pm

4 times last few hours with 175. :(

Last time while watching a facebook video in HD, it was freezing then this crash and lilac pages:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: firefox.exe
Application Version: 13.0.1.4562
Application Timestamp: 4fef8a72
Fault Module Name: mozalloc.dll
Fault Module Version: 13.0.1.4562
Fault Module Timestamp: 4fecc78e
Exception Code: 80000003
Exception Offset: 0000115a
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1051
Additional Information 1: 6588
Additional Information 2: 9437cab4f0aaf073ff9522637fe099c4
Additional Information 3: 326a
Additional Information 4: ce5bb041508bcaa1503e23f47129d4b9
Dreamer

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Post by xiaobing » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:45 am

All videos in facebook has the same problem?
Can you give me a test link?

Dreamer
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe

Post by Dreamer » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:00 am

No, it happened only once this time, on facebook video which is private, but it happened several times before also with a normal youtube video.

After upgrading to 175 it happened 3 times while viewing facebook albums with many pictures, then once while watching that fb video.

I'll try to test with all addons disabled now (I use only 3 addons).
Dreamer

Dreamer
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe

Post by Dreamer » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:08 pm

OK, all addons disabled, AB restarted, lilac pages again on this page:

http://www.zlacnene.sk/letak/4614/p/3/

- click in the middle to zoom in (+)
= new page opened: about:blank
= lilac pages appeared
- refresh all pages/tabs
= all pages loaded, except the last about:blank

Edit: So I can't reproduce it, but it happened once already, few months ago, this time with all addons disabled.
Dreamer

Dreamer
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe

Post by Dreamer » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:52 pm

Another lilac pages, with addons disabled.
Dreamer

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: 10
Avant Version: 2015 Ultimate Build 28
Default engine: Gecko (Firefox)
IE Version: 10
Skin: Monai XP

Post by mbrazil » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:53 pm

Firefox.exe crashes continue to happen frequently regardless of the websites the tabs are open to and regardless of any action in the current tab prior to the crash. They hap-pen with less than 15 open tabs, and they happen with memory consumption far below 50%. They even occur when Avant is inactive in the background. It's a firefox.exe problem, but for users, there's no way to tell if it's Mozilla's problem or Avant's problem.

notestracker
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
Avant Version: 2012 Ult. build 197
Default engine: Mozilla Firefox
IE Version: 10.0
Skin: AthenX

Post by notestracker » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:51 pm

mbrazil wrote:Firefox.exe crashes continue to happen frequently regardless of the websites the tabs are open to and regardless of any action in the current tab prior to the crash. They hap-pen with less than 15 open tabs, and they happen with memory consumption far below 50%. They even occur when Avant is inactive in the background. It's a firefox.exe problem, but for users, there's no way to tell if it's Mozilla's problem or Avant's problem.
That could well be the cause, Mike. ... Some sort of difficult-to-pin-down interaction occasionally failing in Avant due to intercommunication between the two firefox.exe tasks that Avant doesn't trap and handle?

I wonder if anybody who doesn't have Firefox (proper) open all the time is suffering from this problem.

I find Firefox's way of doing things best for some activities, and Avant's way of doing things best for others (whether or not Avant is running in IE rendering mode or in Firefox rendering mode).

By "way of doing things" I mean built-in features and/or additional features provided via add-ons. I suppose that I could get by using one or the other all the time, but my productivity would then drop off somewhat, so I intend to keep using them both at once.
Tony Austin
CEO, Asia/Pacific Computer Services
http://notestracker.com/ and http://notestracker.net/

Dreamer
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe

Post by Dreamer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:49 pm

OK, few more crashes with all extensions (add-ons) disabled, so it's not the problem.

I need to turn on addons now - Avant ad-blocker is quite useless, sorry, don't know how I could live without adblock+.
Dreamer

AbelAbel
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: win7
Avant Version: 2012 beta 8
IE Version: ie9

Post by AbelAbel » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:48 am

notestracker wrote: My guess still is that it's caused by web page (tab) contents rather than number of tabs open. I have a suspicion that Flash might be causing it, because I've had a number of crashes of Firefox over the last few days which seem to be Flash-related (though not 100,00000% certain of that). ... So I'm still in a state of puzzlement.
I agree with you. Most of the case in my PC, the purple screen problem happens when the page has video or flash.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:21 am

This has also turned up in another thread: http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic ... 21&t=31422.

Dreamer
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe

Post by Dreamer » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:30 am

AbelAbel wrote:I agree with you. Most of the case in my PC, the purple screen problem happens when the page has video or flash.
This is right, but it happened many times on page without flash or video, last time few minutes ago on the page with the forum, almost no pictures.

BTW I think it is worse in this version. :(
Dreamer

Dreamer
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe

175 - Last opened tabs opened twice

Post by Dreamer » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:30 am

It just happened again. :(
Dreamer

Dreamer
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe

Re: 175 - Last opened tabs opened twice

Post by Dreamer » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:54 pm

Again, no flash, just switching tabs :(
Dreamer

Dreamer
Avantic Deluxe
Avantic Deluxe

Post by Dreamer » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:48 pm

Another lilac pages, this time it was quite strange, I was switching the facebook pictures and then viewing one picture - did nothing for a minute or two and then suddenly the lilac pages (without any crash dialog).
Dreamer

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:55 pm

Dreamer wrote:BTW I think it is worse in this version. :(
I think you're right about it getting worse in build 175. Not only that, but I'm seeing more crashes in 175 where Avant itself has to be restarted, not just firefox.exe. Stability has definitely decreased with the release of build 175.

Tinman57
Avantic
Avantic
Windows Version: Linux Ubuntu 13.10
Avant Version: Linux Firefox
Default engine: Linux Firefox
IE Version: N/A
Skin: N/A

Post by Tinman57 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:40 am

mbrazil wrote:
I think you're right about it getting worse in build 175. Not only that, but I'm seeing more crashes in 175 where Avant itself has to be restarted, not just firefox.exe. Stability has definitely decreased with the release of build 175.
Yep, I've had some strange crashes for no apparent reason. Only thing that shows up in Avant and every other app running at the time is a totally greyed out screen. Still have access to the menu-bar and the only way out is to either log off or re-boot. Never had this problem in earlier versions.
I've also hit the lilac pages several time since updating to 175. I had one page that was already loaded and was just fine, switched tabs and did some reading on another page, and when I went back to that first page it was lilac with the "something went wrong" message.

Update: After saving this message I exited the tab and Avant (and everything else) went grey. Then it happened two more times while on this site after closing a tab. This time I was able to get my task manager to show without being greyed out too and force Avant to close. I noticed both times that after the crashed Avant.exe exited, two ybrowsers would open up (without Avant.exe) and would remain there until I forced them to close.
This problem is really getting bad...
((((TINMAN))))
----------------------------------------------------------
(Duck! It's another MicroSoft Patch!)

brawnymike
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: 7 (32 bit)
Avant Version: Ult 2013 bld 23
Skin: Aero Glass

Post by brawnymike » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:22 pm

Tinman57 wrote:
mbrazil wrote:
Yep, I've had some strange crashes for no apparent reason. Only thing that shows up in Avant and every other app running at the time is a totally greyed out screen. Still have access to the menu-bar and the only way out is to either log off or re-boot. Never had this problem in earlier versions.
I've also hit the lilac pages several time since updating to 175. I had one page that was already loaded and was just fine, switched tabs and did some reading on another page, and when I went back to that first page it was lilac with the "something went wrong" message.
I'm afraid I have to agree about the lilac-page error happening more with build 175. Specifically, unlike so many others, I've virtually NEVER had a lilac-page error (or grey-page error before the grey pages were changed to lilac pages about a year ago) in all my years of using AB. Since installing build 175, however, I've been getting these errors almost once per day. Ironically, I took the extra steps to do a COMPLETE clean install of build 175 when I went from build 173 to build 175 (i.e., completely uninstalling 173, purging remnants, complete drive housekeeping [including defrag], and fresh install of 175), so I'm *certain* my AB problems are specific to this build.

mbrazil
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by mbrazil » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:08 pm

brawnymike wrote:I'm afraid I have to agree about the lilac-page error happening more with build 175. Specifically, unlike so many others, I've virtually NEVER had a lilac-page error (or grey-page error before the grey pages were changed to lilac pages about a year ago) in all my years of using AB. Since installing build 175, however, I've been getting these errors almost once per day. Ironically, I took the extra steps to do a COMPLETE clean install of build 175 when I went from build 173 to build 175 (i.e., completely uninstalling 173, purging remnants, complete drive housekeeping [including defrag], and fresh install of 175), so I'm *certain* my AB problems are specific to this build.
I think Anderson added the gray (later changed to lilac) error page with one of the early multiple-engine builds to deal with the situation where the engine for a tab (or some of the open tabs) crashes. The text of the error message makes the most sense when you have tabs open with two or all three engines, since the tabs using the other engine(s) may still be working properly as long as none of Avant's own processes have crashed or been damaged by the engine crash. I always check to see which processes crashed when I get the lilac screen, and since I use the Firefox engine almost exclusively, the crashed processes are almost always firefox.exe and plugin-container.exe.

brawnymike
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: 7 (32 bit)
Avant Version: Ult 2013 bld 23
Skin: Aero Glass

Post by brawnymike » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:40 pm

mbrazil wrote:[...] since I use the Firefox engine almost exclusively, the crashed processes are almost always firefox.exe and plugin-container.exe.
If your supposition is true, then my (new) occasional lilac-screen errors may be the natural result of the (new) Flash11.03/AB/Win7 error. That makes sense to me. Now, if only that latter error would get resolved by the folks at Adobe, I might be able to get back to the days of having virtually no problems with AB.