Can no longer override custom rendering engine

Please put your bug reports here, and only here.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro 64
Avant Version: 2015
Default engine: Chrome
IE Version: 11
Skin: Stickers

Can no longer override custom rendering engine

Post by hornakapopolis » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:35 am

It's been awhile since I've had to do this, so I don't know when it changed, but I can no longer override a set rendering engine

One of the sites I work with only formats correctly using Firefox. So I have www.a.com to load using Firefox in my Rendering Engine list. That page contains a link that leads to another department's site that sees the rendering engine and immediately directs you to a different page saying your browser isn't compatible. So, changing the rendering engine at that point just leads you back to the page saying your browser isn't compatible, www.a.com/badbrowser.html, just under a new engine. You're sent there by some CGI script and the back button gets caught in its loop never allowing you to return to the original page.

That's my specific situation, but the overall problem is that if I try to change www.a.com to something other than Firefox, Avant isn't recognizing me manually overriding that engine selection and immediately loads the page again using Firefox. It didn't used to do this, but that might have been in a version more than 2 years old.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: xp/win7 64/win8
Avant Version: latest version
Default engine: firefox/chrome/IE
IE Version: 8/9/10
Skin: aero glass/opal glas

Re: Can no longer override custom rendering engine

Post by xiaobing » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:07 am

If you delete the site from rendering engine list and then change your default engine to other engine, then open the site from address bar, will the page open with default engine?

Only one site has problem?

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:43 am

Taking a closer look... it's only overriding the IE engines. Here's a specific example. (My default engine is Chrome, but I don't think it makes a difference)
  • Put *www.yahoo.com* in the Rendering Engine list using Firefox
  • Open up a new tab in Chrome or IE and go to Yahoo
  • The tab changes to Firefox
  • Now, try to manually change the engine to IE. It automatically loads Firefox again... but it doesn't seem to do it if you use Chrome (The site I use does it for Chrome, though, too. And even if it didn't, my site doesn't recognize Chrome, either)
Yes, I could remove the site from the list, but 10+ sections of the site use Firefox and only one I need to go to needs IE. No matter what I could do, manually changing the engine should override the list. (Although, I'm thinking there's some sort of script involved on the page I use, as well as Yahoo, that's causing it to quickly reload the page after the page loads from the engine change)

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:36 am

hornakapopolis wrote:Now, try to manually change the engine to IE.
How do you change it? Change the engine from the rendering engine list or via address bar?
The yahoo site has been assigned with firefox engine, if you try to change it to IE engine manually via address bar without deleting the setting in rendering engine list, it won't work. In other words, "assign rendering engine" is prior to "change the engine of current page via address bar"

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:00 pm

xiaobing wrote:How do you change it? Change the engine from the rendering engine list or via address bar?
From the address bar, of course...
xiaobing wrote:The yahoo site has been assigned with firefox engine, if you try to change it to IE engine manually via address bar without deleting the setting in rendering engine list, it won't work.
...because that makes absolutely no sense, and I'm sure it didn't previously work this way, even if it was way back in Version 11 or whatever version first introduced assigned rendering engines for URLs.
xiaobing wrote:In other words, "assign rendering engine" is prior to "change the engine of current page via address bar"
So, if you have an engine assigned and you come across a page that doesn't load, the only way you can investigate the cause is to go into options and completely wipe out your rendering engine setting for that site?

By the same logic, instead of clicking on the Blocked URL popup to get it to show, should we have to go into settings and remove the string causing the Ad or Popup Blocker to do the blocking in the first place? WHy would an immediate manual change in the present be overidden by an internal setting set in the past?

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:01 am

You're right. I just checked with Anderson, he said that the users can force to change rendering engine via address bar. Sorry for my previous words. :oops:

I have recorded the bug.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:35 am

Fixed in 2014 build 6

hornakapopolis
AvantGuard
AvantGuard

Post by hornakapopolis » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:05 am

There's a similar bug in 2016 Build 9.

Now, Avant isn't sticking to the engine I choose.

I was trying to see if I had the same issue another poster was having, so I opened Google. It's in my rendering list to open in Chrome. Once it loaded,* I changed to Firefox and typed in a search term. When the search results page loaded, it switched back to Chrome.

(This is slightly different than what I originally described in this thread, but I'm almost positive we've had this exact issue before, too. I just couldn't find the thread.)

*I don't know if I tried to change before the page stopped loading, but the first time I changed the engine from the address bar, the page just automatically reloaded under Chrome.

xiaobing
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by xiaobing » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:56 am

Confirmed