Orca 1.2.5 freezing up.

Orca bug reports go here, and only here. Note that Orca is no longer in development, and no new builds or versions of Orca are planned.

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

hlndr
Windows Version: Win XP Home
Avant Version: n/a
IE Version: 8

Orca 1.2.5 freezing up.

Post by hlndr » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:19 am

Orca has started freezing up...causing me to use CTRL/ALT/DEL to close it out. On a couple of occasions I have even had to reset my computer because it had froze everything. This was a problem I had with the newer versions of Avant and the reason I switched to Orca.
Whoever said that anything is possible
never tried to slam a revolving door.

AlvinPing
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Re: Orca 1.2.5 freezing up.

Post by AlvinPing » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:22 pm

Any particular websites triggering it? Is it reproducible? Have you noticed any patterns? Try clearing out the cache/temporary internet files, history, etc., then surf with Flash off. If you're still getting crashes, try disabling all plugins and extensions as well, and/or consider upgrading them to the latest version.

Can you provide more details perhaps? My Orca 1.2.5 was also freezing up a lot more than the previous build, but it seems stable now. Here's what I did:

1) Clear out Orca cache/temp files/history, etc
2) Upgraded all plugins to latest version
3) Formatted ReadyBoost drive and forced it to rebuild its cache

I do step number 3 whenever I upgrade a significant or commonly used piece of software. Since ReadyBoost caches tiny files from commonly used applications to help speed loading, I want to make sure it is not pulling up "old" data that may cause incompatibilities and stability issues with the upgraded software. Probably not all that necessary and I'm sure the teams at MS have thought of that, but it doesn't hurt to be on the safe side.
-Alvin

hlndr

Post by hlndr » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:43 pm

I did all that (except for the ReadyBoost because I don't have that). There's no pattern to it....and, for the most part, the websites it freezes up on are random. The only one that it regularly crashes on is FaceBook and only when I'm using one specific app (and I know it's the app in that case...not Orca). Sometimes it even freezes weird. Like it will let me change tabs and scroll the page but it won't let me refresh or click on any of the buttons (or fill in any form boxes). But if I CTRL/ALT/DEL to shut it down then reopen it...it'll work fine (for a while anyway). But I have to shut it down that way because simply closing it out doesn't help.

AlvinPing
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by AlvinPing » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:40 pm

Does Orca max out your CPU (or at least 1 core, if you're on a dual or quad) when it freezes? Also, that's odd it'll let you change tabs and scroll but not do anything else... haven't had that happen to me (mine just becomes totally unresponsive), so I can't really offer any more suggestions but I'm sure master-troubleshooter Kudos can chime in here with some good recommendations.

Good luck! I'll be keeping an eye on the thread too, just to see if it might be related to what I was experiencing.
-Alvin

kudos
Support Staff²
Support Staff²
Avant Version:

Post by kudos » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:24 am

Nothing obvious springs to mind, except for a possibly corrupted settings file.
Try removing %appdata%\Orca Profiles\.default\conf.* and %appdata%\Orca Profiles\.default\conf\*.*
Do you have the same problem with Avant too?

.:Volunteer support staff (regular user):.
I am not a member of the Avant / Orca development team
Please search this forum / the Wiki before posting questions
Forum Rules | Frequently Asked Questions | Active Topics

xGrind
Windows Version: XP Service Pack 3
Avant Version: -

Post by xGrind » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:41 am

Disable Flash and testing. Flash overloads the processor.

I'm using a program good for managing the memory RAM
Minimem. It is easy to use.

hlndr

Post by hlndr » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:23 am

kudos wrote:Nothing obvious springs to mind, except for a possibly corrupted settings file.
Try removing %appdata%\Orca Profiles\.default\conf.* and %appdata%\Orca Profiles\.default\conf\*.*
Do you have the same problem with Avant too?
Yes. That's why I stopped using it and switched to Orca. This only started happening after the last Orca update.

bldrdrms
Windows Version: win 7
Avant Version: bld 108
Default engine: firefox
IE Version: 9
Skin: aluminum

Post by bldrdrms » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:51 am

The release hangs for me on SSL sites like bank logins. When I try to exit it just locks up tight. I X out and restart it. It does NOT save the pages I was on to return me to them. Just happened the .5 release.

hlndr

Post by hlndr » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:04 am

Ok....this is getting ridiculous. Now...after Orca has sat for a while it will open up but nothing works. I can't type anything into the address bar, open any of the menus or close it out without CTRL/ALT/Deleting it. I don't know what the problem is but I want the old version back.