Awful Javascript Performance

Moderators: André, AvantGuard

zeal
Windows Version: Vista (x64) SP1
Avant Version: 11.7.23
IE Version: 8.0.6001.18762 (x64)

Awful Javascript Performance

Post by zeal » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:38 pm

I've been playing about with http://www.quirksmode.org/dom/innerhtml.html after being fed up with avant causing high load for several mins on certain sites (that i know use alot of JS).

I discovered that InnerHTML 1 method is loosing performance per open tab in avant. In IE7, that doesn't happen. How much performance seems to vary noticibly be the size/amount of JS use of the sites in the tabs (4 tabs, i get about 1500ms). However, even after closing the tabs, the performance is not completely returned to normal, only partly (about 10-20ms per tab that has been opened). Over a long browser session, it becomes extremely bad, so any sites using that method eventually lock up avant, while the other methods still retain the same performance.

I know IE7's JS performance is awful already, but with this not happening in IE7 itself suggests this is a problem in avant's tab management implementation.

Seems to be another bug where InnerHTML 1 will suddenly take a huge dive in performance (in the degree of 10000ms), but i've had this happen in IE7, though having trouble reproducing it consistantly.

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus
Windows Version: Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Avant Version: 11.7 build 43
IE Version: 8

Re: Awful Javascript Performance

Post by abfan123 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:05 pm

IE8 seems to pass this test so much better than IE7...
Anyway, I've got not more than about 70ms with the InnerHTML1 test (Avant IE7 engine) & About 50ms (Avant IE8 engine) (About 15 tabs).
IE8(Pro), Microsoft Security Essentials
Main PC:
Secondary PC same as primary but with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate as the OS.

harambur
Windows Version: Windows 7
Avant Version: 11.7 v31
IE Version: 8.0

Post by harambur » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:04 am

Hi,

Not sure if this is the same issue but on the sites www.engadget.com and www.americanexpress.com, Avant takes forever to load. It's painful, especially if you are surfing engadgest. Every page you turn, you have to wait forever for it to load.

IE 7.0 doesn't have this problem. I now use IE 7.0 whenever I want to browse Engadget or check my Amex statement.
zeal wrote:I've been playing about with http://www.quirksmode.org/dom/innerhtml.html after being fed up with avant causing high load for several mins on certain sites (that i know use alot of JS).

I discovered that InnerHTML 1 method is loosing performance per open tab in avant. In IE7, that doesn't happen. How much performance seems to vary noticibly be the size/amount of JS use of the sites in the tabs (4 tabs, i get about 1500ms). However, even after closing the tabs, the performance is not completely returned to normal, only partly (about 10-20ms per tab that has been opened). Over a long browser session, it becomes extremely bad, so any sites using that method eventually lock up avant, while the other methods still retain the same performance.

I know IE7's JS performance is awful already, but with this not happening in IE7 itself suggests this is a problem in avant's tab management implementation.

Seems to be another bug where InnerHTML 1 will suddenly take a huge dive in performance (in the degree of 10000ms), but i've had this happen in IE7, though having trouble reproducing it consistantly.

Jasmine
Support Staff
Support Staff
Windows Version: windows sp3 2003 vista win7
Avant Version: Latest release
IE Version: IE9 8 7

Post by Jasmine » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:49 am

harambur wrote:Hi,

Not sure if this is the same issue but on the sites http://www.engadget.com and http://www.americanexpress.com, Avant takes forever to load. It's painful, especially if you are surfing engadgest. Every page you turn, you have to wait forever for it to load.

IE 7.0 doesn't have this problem. I now use IE 7.0 whenever I want to browse Engadget or check my Amex statement.
I can load both of these sites with no problem.
Please provide the following information before reporting problems:
Avant Version; System(also point out it is a 32 or 64-bit OS);IE; Memory Size; CPU Speed;
Optional: Firewall; Graphics Card

For the problems hard to replay, could you add me into your MSN or Skype list if you use either of them? The advantage is that you can let us know the situation in the first place by making some screenshots, sharing your screen or explaining the specific problems more clearly when they happen.
E-mail: Jasmine#avantbrowser.com(please repalce # with @)
MSN: dishmoon#msn.com

darth
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version: Avant 11_0 Build 46
Default engine: trident
IE Version: 10
Skin: default

Post by darth » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:42 pm

Ditto. Excellent loading of these sites. I do use 11_0 build 46 however.
Dell Precision 360 Work Staton XP 32/64 bits

ReleaseRoderick
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Windows Version: WinXP Pro
Avant Version: AV11.7build46forever
IE Version: IE.8

Post by ReleaseRoderick » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:37 pm

Fast as fast could be.
Love,Light and Peace
ian

avozetta
Windows Version: Vista Premium
Avant Version: 11.6 build 20
IE Version: 7

Post by avozetta » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:29 pm

Hi, I can reproduce the long loading times on the sites below. I have also notice the same problem with some Swedish sites as well, http://www.dn.se and http://www.dustinhome.se. No problem with IE7.

My configuration is Windows Vista SP1 with IE7 and AB 11.6 Build 20 and I usually have about 10 tabs opened at the same time.
Jasmine wrote:

Not sure if this is the same issue but on the sites http://www.engadget.com and http://www.americanexpress.com, Avant takes forever to load. It's painful, especially if you are surfing engadgest. Every page you turn, you have to wait forever for it to load.

1) HP Pavilion tx1320eo, Windows Vista SP1, IE7, AB 11.6 Build 20, Microsoft Firewall, AVG Antivirus
2) Dell Dimension 8100, Windows XP SP2, IE7, AB 11.6 Build 20, Microsoft Firewall, AVG Antivirus
Netgear Wireless Router WNDR 3300 with builtin firewall.

avozetta
Windows Version: Vista Premium
Avant Version: 11.6 build 20
IE Version: 7

Post by avozetta » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:59 pm

But I can not reproduse it on my DELL-computer with Windows XP!
avozetta wrote:Hi, I can reproduce the long loading times on the sites below. I have also notice the same problem with some Swedish sites as well, http://www.dn.se and http://www.dustinhome.se. No problem with IE7.

My configuration is Windows Vista SP1 with IE7 and AB 11.6 Build 20 and I usually have about 10 tabs opened at the same time.
Jasmine wrote:

1) HP Pavilion tx1320eo, Windows Vista SP1, IE7, AB 11.6 Build 20, Microsoft Firewall, AVG Antivirus
2) Dell Dimension 8100, Windows XP SP2, IE7, AB 11.6 Build 20, Microsoft Firewall, AVG Antivirus
Netgear Wireless Router WNDR 3300 with builtin firewall.

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus

Post by abfan123 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:09 pm

I've just opened all the websites mentioned in this thread and couldn't confirm the problem on my machine with Vista Ultimate SP1 x64/IE8Beta1 (Avant is in IE7 mode)/Avant Browser 11.7 Alpha 3/Flash 10 Beta 2.
However, I've noticed that 3 out of 4 websites are heavily using Flash, Which might be the problem.

What do you exactly mean by "slow loading"?
Does it take too long for the website to fully load? It's hard to scroll through the website? What exactly is the problem?
Main PC:

harambur

Post by harambur » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:51 am

the page takes forever to load all the information and relinquish control. while the page is loading, you can't click on any other tab. i even changed avant to load new tabs in the background, doens't matter. this happens everytime you click a link on the page and load the next page.

i also have an hp pavillion. notebook though.

Okay, I just confirmed that on my Sony and Dell XP laptops it doesn't happen. So apparently it is a Vista problem. I'm using Vista Home.
abfan123 wrote:I've just opened all the websites mentioned in this thread and couldn't confirm the problem on my machine with Vista Ultimate SP1 x64/IE8Beta1 (Avant is in IE7 mode)/Avant Browser 11.7 Alpha 3/Flash 10 Beta 2.
However, I've noticed that 3 out of 4 websites are heavily using Flash, Which might be the problem.

What do you exactly mean by "slow loading"?
Does it take too long for the website to fully load? It's hard to scroll through the website? What exactly is the problem?

thethirdhalf
Windows Version: XP SP2
Avant Version: 11.6 Build 20
IE Version: 7.0.5730.11

Post by thethirdhalf » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:13 pm

It's not a Vista problem.

I use Avant on a dual boot XP/Vista, same avant version, same profiles, and the problem happens on both. Avant will use an increasing amount of CPU as more tabs are opened (I can't leave it open without cutting my battery life in half). The more tabs, the worse the problem.

See also here: http://forum.avantbrowser.com/viewtopic ... 7&p=148171

zeal

Post by zeal » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:54 pm

Just to clarify my original post as requested.
The page content loads fine. It's the execution of javascript registered to the on load effect that takes forever and uses full cpu usuage, for varying lenghts of time.

I have two test cases that effect me.

http://www.wowwiki.com
http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?hunter

Early on in a brower session, they both produce high cpu load, but it lasts only a second. After a longer period, and/or with multiple tabs of each (which is the norm for wowwiki) they can take several minutes to drop the high cpu load and work again. Sadly, by which point, avant has somehow caused logitech's mouse drivers (set point) to lose some of it's bindings and some strange behavoir (shift fixed on so text is highlight constantly, right mouse closing tabs rather than switching to them, middle mouse no longer opening new tabs but instead acting as it's default scrolling function.)

I happen to contribute to both sites, so i'm trying to get to the bottom of the issue from both ends.

Right now with this tab, 3 of wowwiki and one of the mmo-champion, and the benchmark open, i got an average of 3594ms (index of 7647) for innerhtml 1 test case. Closing the test case and running the benchmark again with just it and this tab open, i get 250ms (index of 439). All were done 3 times for each test each time.

abfan123
Avantus Maximus
Avantus Maximus

Post by abfan123 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:24 pm

Just tried to reproduce, And got an average of 101ms for innerHTML 1 test.
Main PC:

zeal

Post by zeal » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:17 pm

Wanted to check if a new build might have fixed this at all, so reluctantly updated to 11.6.20 to test (b'bye to half my settings :( ).
Fresh restart and exact same test cases, the problem still occured.

harambur

Post by harambur » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:55 am

Since some people have no trouble with Vista and other like myself do, and some people have problems with XP, and other don't, like myself, any chance the cause of the problem is the version of Java you have installed?

Also, has anyone tried the alpha versions being worked on? Does the problem persist there?

scubamaster
Semi-Avantic
Semi-Avantic
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by scubamaster » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:59 am

harambur wrote:the page takes forever to load all the information and relinquish control. while the page is loading, you can't click on any other tab. i even changed avant to load new tabs in the background, doens't matter. this happens everytime you click a link on the page and load the next page.
I experience the same problem with the 11.6b20 version on my Vista Home Premium system when I have >5 tabs open.

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80GHz; 4GB RAM; Nvidia GeForce 8600GT w. 280.26 driver
Windows 7 Professional 32-Bit SP1 (all patches)
Avant: V2011 b30 - (IE Favorites - No On-Line Storage)
IE V9.0.8112.16421-Upd 9.0.2; Java: 1.7.0.147; Flash: V10.3.183.5
Windows Security Essentials V2.1.1116.0

André
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:

Post by André » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:06 am

harambur, Java is not the same as Javascipt. They are completely different technologies. Now, that doesn't absolve Java from some how interfering with how Javascript performs but I doubt it. There has to be some other common factor which could be any number of things.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6

harambur

Post by harambur » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:07 pm

Well good news, at least for me. I installed IE 8 Beta 2, and now I can load all the sites listed in this thread with no problems in Avant. This is with 15 tabs open.

Don't know if it will work for you, but give it a try.

André
Administrator
Administrator
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64
Avant Version:

Post by André » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:39 pm

IE 8 has had a lot of Javascript as well as many other optimizations so that's probably why its working much better for you now.
Formerly known as DrDrrae.
I am not a member of the development team.
Please search the forum before posting questions.

Avant Force Wiki || Avant Force Blog
Desktop:
Intel C2Q Q9550 @ 3.7GHz || 8GiBs DDR2 800 @ 435MHz || Asus P5E
112 GiB SSD || 931 GiB HDD || 2x ATI 5770 in CrossfireX || Picture

NetBook:
ASUS Eee PC 1000HE || 1.66 GHz Atom N280 || 2 GiB DDR2 667 || 320 GiB HDD

NAS:
Intel E5200 @ 2.632 GHz || 4 GiB DDR2 800 @ 421 MHz || Foxconn G31MXP-K
5.45 TiB RAID 6

bergey
Avant Version:

Hey, harambur!

Post by bergey » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:46 am

harambur wrote:Well good news, at least for me. I installed IE 8 Beta 2, and now I can load all the sites listed in this thread with no problems in Avant. This is with 15 tabs open.

Don't know if it will work for you, but give it a try.

harambur,
A thousand Thank You's to you! I was about at my wit's end with this dilemma. Very mystifying symptoms had me stumped, but installing IE8 beta 2 seems to have fixed the problem (even though IE7, by itself, was working 'fine', just not, apparently, playing very nicely with AB 11.6b20). I only hope that this fix continues to function --I had the distinct impression that the insidious problem with AB had been getting progressively worse with time, and the number of websites affected, over the past few months.

Cheers,
George