Awful Javascript Performance

Moderators: André, AvantGuard

brucekrymow
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Re: Awful Javascript Performance

Post by brucekrymow » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:24 pm

Installed IE8 - very minute if any difference in performance.

Avant Browser still has massive memory leak & eats up CPUs when accessing pages such as CNN - having one or two tabs open when clicking on a link renders the entire browser dead in the water until both pages load...which takes a long time still.

bksening
Fan
Fan
Windows Version: XP SP3
Avant Version: 2010 build1
IE Version: 8.0

Post by bksening » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:44 pm

Just a reminder, posting your Javascript test times on this forum is _useless_ (unless you want to show everyone how fast your computer is! :) ). That's because Javascript runs from your own computer. So different computers with different CPUs, cores, RAM, etc. will all have different execution times.

The Javascript tests are only good when comparing Javascript speeds between different browsers all from your _own_ computer. So of course, one should start by installing different browsers on your computer. (And note, you will only need one Trident/IE based browser and one Gecko based browser; the Javascript runs from the same Javascript engine for each of them respectively.)

Then you can compare all their execution times running the same Javascript tests. (Also you should close all other browsers and close the running browser after running these Javascript tests because they purposely allocate lots of RAM during testing.) Some tests you can try are:
http://www.quirksmode.org/dom/innerhtml.html as mentioned in this thread

http://www2.webkit.org/perf/sunspider-0 ... pider.html SunSpider Javascript Benchmark

http://www.dromaeo.com/ Dromaeo Javascript Performance Test

If you really want to post your execution times, you can post the times for all the different browsers you ran together! :)

Those using IE 7 or earlier will quickly see that IE's JScript runs incomparably slower to any non-IE based browser. To Microsoft's credit, Javascript performance in IE8 beta2 is much improved over IE7, but IE8 is still only catching up to other browsers' currently established performance. As well, all other major browsers currently have alpha/beta versions of their Javascript engine that are even faster than their current stable releases (in case anyone is interested in testing beta software! :) ).

brucekrymow
Fan
Fan
Avant Version:

Post by brucekrymow » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:50 pm

Updated to latest version of IE8 & Avant Browser, disabled AD blocker & enabled direct connection as suggested by those in the know here - very little if any performance increase. Beleagured w/ same browser issues & seizing.

I'm seeing someone else....her name is Google Chrome browser - opens scripted pages discussed immediately, no Javascript issues, no max CPU issues & no memory leaks. Google Chrome is blazing fast & has some simplified, nice, intuitive features. 13 tabs open & not even a tenth of the resources ravenously consumed by Avant are used.

Sorry Avant...I was really in love with you, but now our user experience relationship for over the last 2 years has has soured & not really gotten any better in the aforementioned areas. We're breaking up. It's not me, it's you. :(

bksening
Fan
Fan

Post by bksening » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:07 pm

Not to be outdone by Safari, Google Chrome, and Firefox, Opera has announced their upcoming next generation Javascript engine for Opera browser named "Carakan" (pronounced "Jarakan") to once again take on the challenge to develop the fastest Javascript engine on the market.

It features performance improvements with register-based bytecode, native code generation, and automatic object classification. Initial tests show 2.5 times faster Javascript performance over Presto 2.2 (in Opera 10 Alpha) and between 5 and 50 times faster with native code generation.

Full details at: http://my.opera.com/core/blog/2009/02/04/carakan

bksening
Fan
Fan

Post by bksening » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:20 pm

So what's in the works for Avant, or more specifically, for IE's JScript engine that is the core of Avant's Javascript performance (or current lack thereof)? At least Microsoft has been aware of the problem (although they won't publicly admit it: "However, Microsoft continues to dismiss benchmarks such as SunSpider") and have greatly improved the Javascript performance in IE8.

The newest version of IE8 (IE8 RC1) is still the slowest major browser when it comes to JavaScript. But it has significantly closed the gap since last summer's IE8 beta2.

According to tests run by Computerworld, IE8 RC1 still lags behind its four major competitors (Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Opera) in rendering JavaScript -- at times, by large margins. Although IE8 RC1 was the slowest of the five browsers, its SunSpider score was approximately 70% faster than IE8 Beta 2's, which was released in August 2008.

Full details: http://www.computerworld.com/action/art ... Id=9126940
(and many other Internet references)

DeepUnder
Avant Version:

Post by DeepUnder » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:32 pm

My concern is this is the same issues that we have seen in other posts eg) Slow browsing, Advant Freezes and now this thread and nothing has been done about it to investigate the issue.

People have formated there machines and still get the same issue.

Jasmine,

you have seen countless threads about advant being slow, freezing etc and yet you test this out on your machine and say all is fine. What you should do is try and help and diagnose the issue.

for example i have opned 5 tabs closed 3 and then clicked a link that lead me to this site
http://www.baselinemag.com/c/a/Careers/ ... k-IT-Jobs/

i am trying to view the slideshow and each time i click to view the next slide the whole browser freezes.

Same with the following sites www.teamxbox.com, http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/sup ... ay=support

how many threads do you need to acknowledge there is a problem.

lift up your game before you start seeing people jump to another browser.

AXEMAN
Avantic Elite
Avantic Elite
Windows Version: WIN 7 64 BIT
Avant Version: THE LATEST
IE Version: 9

Post by AXEMAN » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:40 pm

darth wrote:Ditto. Excellent loading of these sites. I do use 11_0 build 46 however.
I agree with Darth and i am useing avant 11_0 build 43 i have none of those problems. :)

TombStone
Avant Version:

Post by TombStone » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:35 am

I had an awful javascript performance on all AB builds, but upgrading IE to IE8 RC1 helped a lot. Now browsing is a lot faster (i see a big difference) on most sites, but on few ones it is fast or good enough in comparision to 5-30 seconds laaaag (or AB completely not responding for that amount of time) in site loading or while browsing every page on that particular sites.