Which browser is better?

Discuss whatever you like here! ( ...that's not spam!)

Moderators: Support Staff², Support Staff, AvantGuard, Developer

klumy
Avant Version:

Re: Which browser is better?

Post by klumy » Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:14 pm

I think both are great.
From all free tabbed browsers: MYIE2 and Avantbrowsers are the top ones.

rustyambrose
Windows Version: Windows
Avant Version:

Post by rustyambrose » Fri Aug 01, 2003 9:39 am

I would personally like to know whats all the hype about Firebird? If someone has it, please explain why it is so good. I hear some things about it on this forum. Thanks.
To expand on roth377-  
1) It doesn't require install
2) The plug-in capability is nice (ex:  a 3k plug in for flash blocking...blocks like AB, but gives you the option to click on individual flash animations if you so choose to view them...nice for us slow dial-up users at home)
 At work they run NT4 so I use MyIE2 there but at home I like Avant.
Jeff
Why does NT4 affect you at work?  I am on NT4 as well, and I use it?  
<exaggeration> I have also told all but probably 2 people (in a large corp)  ;) to use AB as well </exaggeration>  ;D  Yes, I am THAT guy... it just doesn't get any better than AB.

Ever want me to take someone out.. just show me an IE only page.. I will nuke their server, nuke their computer, nuke their house... then beat them with the standards 2x4 upside the head.  ;D
Now, while I am LMAO at Tom's 2x4 analysis-
<soapbox> this is purely msft's fault  >:(  They created IE specific code, ex: javascript that is not standard.  Mind you, some of it can be done in a long and drawn-out way to make it work for other browsers (probably why Willy Gates had somebody write it  ;) ), it is just plain annoying.  Even more so, the fact that people have to find out the hard way that the javascript they just taught them self is worthless to some of there co-workers, grandma and whoever else tries to open their page that is not in msft's cattle ranch. </soapbox>

We all live in the ranch, so we may as well saddle up and enjoy the ride!  But not without-

-->  Avant Browser  <--
Rusty

---Visualize Whirled Peas---

search53
Avant Fanatic
Avant Fanatic
Avant Version:

Post by search53 » Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:44 am

<exaggeration> I have also told all but probably 2 people (in a large corp)  ;) to use AB as well </exaggeration>

<soapbox> this is purely msft's fault  >:( ... that is not in msft's cattle ranch. </soapbox>
Just out of curiousity... is there a list somewhere of these "non-standard HTML tags"??  ;D
IBM PC XT, 8088 4.7Mhz, 512k RAM
360k DSDD FDD, 10 Meg HDD
Bell 103, Monochrome
PC-DOS 3.1

As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing!

batigolaso
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by batigolaso » Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:51 pm

I'll let the cat out of the bag and say that I'm currently concurrently using Avant and Myie2! shock...gasp...hehe. I would recommend Avant to novice users out there and people who like simplicity, but if you are a power user, like myself, MyIE2 simply has a lot more functionality right now such ad hunter, content filter, aliases, the customizable search stuff (so i can configure it to let me type ng Avant Browser and it will search news.google.com for Avant Browser...very cool). These are things I use daily now with MyIE2. It blocks all my ads including unwanted flash banners, but not my flash stuff that I want to see, unlike avant. But yea, the aliases, the customizable search stuff on thet oolbar...all very cool features. It has plugin support as well, which I'm a fan of. But if you like the simple life, then I def. would not suggest myie2, but rather tell you to go with Avant :) Nothing as nice and easy as Avant.
"In a minute there is time for decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse." -The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

Pip
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Avant Version: 2012Ultimate V171
IE Version: IE9

Post by Pip » Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:57 pm

I'll let the cat out of the bag and say that I'm currently concurrently using Avant and Myie2! shock...gasp...hehe. I would recommend Avant to novice users out there and people who like simplicity, but if you are a power user, like myself, MyIE2 simply has a lot more functionality right now such ad hunter, content filter, aliases, the customizable search stuff (so i can configure it to let me type ng Avant Browser and it will search news.google.com for Avant Browser...very cool). These are things I use daily now with MyIE2. It blocks all my ads including unwanted flash banners, but not my flash stuff that I want to see, unlike avant. But yea, the aliases, the customizable search stuff on thet oolbar...all very cool features. It has plugin support as well, which I'm a fan of. But if you like the simple life, then I def. would not suggest myie2, but rather tell you to go with Avant :) Nothing as nice and easy as Avant.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro - I Came, I Saw, I Stuck Around

yellowdiscman
Avant Version:

Post by yellowdiscman » Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:44 pm

Avant Browser for the win ::)

Po0Och
Avant Version:

Post by Po0Och » Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:30 am

I've given both Avant and MyIE2 a go, and they're both great browsers, practically identical in the features that I need. Except for one: MyIE2 has three extra mouse gestures. Avant has forward and back, but MyIE2 can also close the current window, refresh, and create a new window with gestures. That's really the only reason I use MyIE2 instead of Avant.
We dine quite well in Camelot, we eat ham and jam and spam alot!

Pip
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Windows Version: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Avant Version: 2012Ultimate V171
IE Version: IE9

Post by Pip » Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:26 am

I've given both Avant and MyIE2 a go, and they're both great browsers, practically identical in the features that I need. Except for one: MyIE2 has three extra mouse gestures. Avant has forward and back, but MyIE2 can also close the current window, refresh, and create a new window with gestures. That's really the only reason I use MyIE2 instead of Avant.
I have MyIE2 loaded but haven't fooled with it much...guess I am too loyal to Avant now.....as for mouse gestures.........I couldn't even remember the ones that Avant has enabled...I had to recheck the options.........it's easier for my to move the mouse to Back and Forward and Refresh.......and I can close a window and open a new window with the middle mouse button on the window tabs toolbar.......that's good enough for me......... :D

Veni, Vidi, Velcro - I Came, I Saw, I Stuck Around

Po0Och
Avant Version:

Post by Po0Och » Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:57 am

I have MyIE2 loaded but haven't fooled with it much...guess I am too loyal to Avant now.....as for mouse gestures.........I couldn't even remember the ones that Avant has enabled...I had to recheck the options.........it's easier for my to move the mouse to Back and Forward and Refresh.......and I can close a window and open a new window with the middle mouse button on the window tabs toolbar.......that's good enough for me.........  
I had to check the help file the first few times I used mouse gestures too, but now I can't live without all of MyIE2s mouse gestures. I find myself subconsciously trying to use them when I have windows explorer up, and at friends houses when I'm using the internet there. Its really quite convenient, with the gestures you never have to spend time mousing your way up to the toolbars, and then back down to the taskbar to do things. The funny thing is, I never got the hang of the Avant gestures, and now all I use is MyIE2.

If there's one thing I miss from Avant, its the simplified ad blocker. You just click and it's turned on, while with the MyIE2 blocker I'm never sure what I'm blocking and what I'm not because of all the options.
We dine quite well in Camelot, we eat ham and jam and spam alot!

batigolaso
AvantGuard
AvantGuard
Avant Version:

Post by batigolaso » Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:28 pm

I never used the mouse gestures on either. heheh. But MyIE2's aliases, content filter, customizable search, etc... make it really useful. Avant doesn't have such features, but then again, that keeps it simple which is good for a lot of people too.
"In a minute there is time for decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse." -The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock